A face on a lover with a fire in his heart

arueng

CHINESE
A face on a lover with a fire in his heart
A man undercover but you tore me apart
Now I've found a real love you'll never fool me again

Hi,
Christmas is coming, and I'm beginning to listen to Christmas songs.
The above is from "Last Christmas," and I had a hard time understanding the first two lines. Could you paraphrase them for me? Thanks in advance.

• arueng

CHINESE
    Thanks, Angeleyes, for the awesome explanation.

I think I got it!

By the way, how come you thought it is the girl that is cheated but not the guy?
    Wasn't the song written by and sung by a guy?

AngelEyes

English - United States
    I deleted my first answer because of just this. :rolleyes:

I forgot it was George Michael singing this. I guess George Michael can confuse some people.

The guy was the one who got taken in by this girl who was crying on his shoulder last year. In the process, he made himself vulnerable to her and bared his soul. She used him to feel better and then dropped him right afterwards.

Now, it's this Christmas and he sees her at a party from across the room. He knows he's still vulnerable to her, even though she was so rotten to him before.

He's thinking about what happened and admits to himself that he was nothing more than a shoulder to cry on. He's embarrassed and kind of mad at himself as he admits he probably revealed his feelings through the look on his face when he was with her. (Face on a lover and fire in his heart)

Undercover, I think, means, he'd cared for her for some time - his feelings were hidden. When they finally connected last year, he opened up to her, but her rejection the next day tore him apart. She hurt him terribly.

This poor guy carried a love for a girl who finally came to him when she was hurting over something else. She used his feelings and then tossed him away.

A year later, he's still fighting his emotions for her.

AngelEyes

Edit:

I have a question for the British members. The line where he sings face on a lover reads awkward to me. Is this a BE style?

Sort of like, "Good on you."
    In AE, we say, "Good for you."

Is this a BE stylization for "face of a lover"? Or is it just the poetic style of the songwriter?

Last edited:

bluegiraffe

English - England
    No, it's not BE! I think it's stylistic or to make the line scan or something.

We do say "you've got a face on" but it usually means you look grumpy, it doesn't make sense in this context.

< Previous | Next >