a [faction] of the Chinese Communist Party

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The quotation comes from Party propaganda rap aims to 'tell foreigners truth' about China - BBC News

Quotation: A rap song in English aiming to tell foreigners "the truth" about China has been released by a faction of the Chinese Communist Party.

This is China was posted onto micro-blogging site Weibo on Tuesday by China's Communist Youth League and has been shared more than 40,000 times.

It features a mix of traditional Chinese elements against modern rap.

It says China has "terrible problems" but is peace-loving, affluent and at the forefront of scientific research.

Context: Weibo is the Chinese version of Twitter.
===
Hi everyone! I have a question about the bold part here. I think "faction" means "1. a group within a larger group: several factions of the Liberal Party", but how can a Weibo account be a "faction"? :confused: The word often strikes me as political strife.

• Irelia20150604

Chinese
    "faction" often strikes me as political strife.:eek: But in China, the Chinese Communist Party is absolute... China's Communist Youth League can't defy it... So I've been misled. :oops:

bennymix

It's true that factions are sometimes in strife and we have a word --as the Chinese do, I'm sure-- "factionalism" for actions of various factions that encourage strife and hinder work on a common cause.

In the quotation, however, strife is not suggested, but what is, is that the willingness to resort to rap is rather unusual; so the faction is a bit different* from the main body of the party-- just slightly.

*Notice that the means, the rap is different; the content, that the nation is strong and non-aggressive to others is basic CPC line.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Yes, 'faction' does suggest internal dissent. No doubt there are factions within the Party, with various views on economic liberalization or the South China Sea islands or whatever, but the youth league isn't really a faction unless it, as a whole, has views of its own like this. A branch? But that would more likely be the Shenzhen or Hainan branch. A wing? No, that suggests left and right wings. A sub-organization? We want a more common word for a sub-organization.

Irelia20150604

Chinese
    Hmmm.... In fact, In the CPC there is a "Youth League" faction whose leader is said to be our ex-president Mr. Hu. But it isn't quite the same as China's Communist Youth League. I'm afraid the author confused the two "Youth Leagues". :D

A sub-organization? We want a more common word for a sub-organization.
    the NewYorkTimes says:

he was persuaded by party officials to stay in China and devote himself to the Communist Youth League, the cadre training organization whose membership was largely drawn from those with humble pedigrees.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Quotation: A rap song in English aiming to tell foreigners "the truth" about China has been released by a faction of the Chinese Communist Party.

This is China was posted onto micro-blogging site Weibo on Tuesday by China's Communist Youth League and has been shared more than 40,000 times.
    I share your opinions on the word "faction" - it usually is used in a negative way: a faction is either troublesome or aggressive to/towards someone.

I suspect that this choice of word (faction) was done consciously by the BBC who seem to be reflecting the support of the British Government for the Government of China.
    I'm afraid the author confused the two "Youth Leagues".
    This is more than possible: I may sound like a grumpy old man, but "The BBC's standards have deteriorated over the past 20 years." :D

< Previous | Next >