A false dichotomy

• boozer

Bulgarian
    I take it as saying that 'Native Hawaiian vulture*' and 'modern science' are not each other's exact opposites.

* I meant, culture, of course, but I love this typo :D :D

Last edited:

grassy

Polish
    Can "a false dichotomy" be written as "a false thesis" or "a false judgment" with the same meaning?
    No, but I am not sure what the author meant either: she seems to be saying that portaying Hawaiian culture to be against science is simply unfair and misses the bigger picture. And for an argument to be a false dichotomy, there have to be two false alternatives. I only skimmed through the article, though -- I may have missed something.

Chasint

English - England
    {...}For an argument to be a false dichotomy, there have to be two false alternatives.{...}
    That is not true. It means that the situation has falsely been labelled as a dichotomy. The situation is not characterised by being a dichotomy.

lingobingo

English - England
    The definition given in Wiktionary of a “false dichotomy” is: A situation in which two alternative points of view are presented as the only options, when others are available. It’s a type of “false dilemma”.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Can "a false dichotomy" be written as "a false thesis" or "a false judgment" with the same meaning?
    No, though false dichotomies can imply false theses and false judgements.

A false dichotomy is where someone presents two apparently contrary possibilities as though they were the only choices available:

Either you come with me to London, or you prefer to show that you are no friend of mine - but you might be both her friend and engaged to visit Bristol.

Painting Native Hawaiian culture as against modern science is a false dichotomy - is not on the surface a false dichotomy. I can't see that Painting Hawaiian is being presented as in anyway an alternative to modern culture. It's no sort of dichotomy.

You want to stay clear of Native Hawaiian vultures; they are very fierce, and dangerous biters.

Chasint

English - England
    What's the dichotomy then?
    Some people have been reporting that science and culture are in conflict in this situation - that is the dichotomy. However the article says that the culture and the process are in conflict.

< Previous | Next >