a familiar chubby feline form

Stephanagreg

FRANCE FRENCH
Hello,

In a leading article (accessible online without a subription),
a columnist comments on the willingness to restrict executives' ability to benefit from some financial advantages :

Passions are running uncharacteristically high in sober Switzerland. Thomas Minder, an outspoken chief executive, is waging a campaign against what he sees as excessive managers' pay awarded on easy terms and without the blessing of shareholders. Next door in France, as part of the recent presidential campaign, the victorious Nicolas Sarkozy pledged to carve out time in a hectic programme for laws to curb pay-offs to departing executives. Elsewhere, and particularly in Britain, the fight is over highly paid and lightly taxed private-equity partners.

He then concludes his pargraph by alluding to "the shadow of a familiar chubby feline form" :

Already the shadow of a familiar chubby feline form is falling upon high-paid managers of all stripes.

Could you tell me what is meant by that ? The allusion is probably very clear, but I don't get it.

Many thanks in advance.

• emma42

British English
    Hello. I think this is an allusion to the idea of "fat cats", meaning rich, greedy, complacent people. It is often used to describe very well-paid bosses as opposed to poorer workers. An example sentence:

Gas workers are considering strike action to protest against derisory pay offers whilst fat cat executives award themselves huge bonuses.

< Previous | Next >