A family do (not a gathering)

Anoukmac

French - France
Hi everyone,

Sorry, I'm posting a new thread, cause the first one was not clear enough.
I found several meanings of the noun do (a party, a hairdo, a period of confusion or argument), but I'm not sure about the meaning it this context (2 hitmen chatting in a car, waiting for their prey):

- He wasn’t a special uncle but he actually was my uncle. He was a cunt.
- He wasn’t one of the people your old man took money off of to be your special uncle?
- Oh come on now. It’s a family do.

My try (you may check the rest as well ;-) ):
- J'y tenais pas spécialement, mais c'était mon oncle. C'était un con.
- Ton père l'a pas racketté (
or il faisait pas partie de ceux que ton père a rackettés), donc tu tenais pas spécialement à lui.
- Allons bon... C'est un sujet tabou dans la famille. / C'est une habitude de famille ?

Thanks for your help!

• TRADLADY

French
    Hi everyone,

Sorry, I'm posting a new thread, cause the first one was not clear enough.
    I found several meanings of the noun do (a party, a hairdo, a period of confusion or argument), but I'm not sure about the meaning it this context (2 hitmen chatting in a car, waiting for their prey):

- He wasn’t a special uncle but he actually was my uncle. He was a cunt.
    - He wasn’t one of the people your old man took money off of to be your special uncle?
    - Oh come on now. It’s a family do.

My try (you may check the rest as well ;-) ):
    - J'y tenais pas spécialement, mais c'était mon oncle. C'était un con.
    - Ton père l'a pas racketté (
    or il faisait pas partie de ceux que ton père a rackettés), donc tu tenais pas spécialement à lui.
    - Allons bon... C'est un sujet tabou dans la famille. / C'est une habitude de famille ?

Thanks for your help!

Bonjour
    Pas tellement d'idée pour do mais je trouve que tes phrases ne sont pas très claires.

Ma proposition :

- J'l'aimais pas spécialement, mais c'était mon oncle. C'était un con.
    - C'est pas parce que tu
    tenais à lui que ton père l'a pas escroqué ?
    - Bon ça suffit maintenant ... ???

TL

Une idée : c'est une affaire de famille ?
    :thumbsup:
    I'd go with this based on the information we have, which is rather ambiguous. Just what is a "special uncle"? The term could have several meanings, ranging from a close family friend, to someone who owed money to his father, to someone who had sexual relations with him as a child. I'm not sure that "s'y tenir/l'aimer spécialement" is the right approach.
    The first line means that he was actually his uncle, il était bien son vrai oncle, implying that most of his "special uncles", whoever they are, were not in fact his biological uncles.
    I think we need more context...

Anoukmac

French - France
    Merci de ton aide, Tradlady.
    J'aime bien ta première réplique (J'l'aimais pas spécialement, mais c'était mon oncle. C'était un con.) et l'affaire de famille, qui est assez général.
    En revanche, dans C'est pas parce que tu tenais à lui que ton père l'a pas escroqué ?, il y a l'idée qu'il tenait à lui, or il ne tient justement pas à lui...

Anoukmac

French - France
    Merci beaucoup, Lart01 et Colmartranslation.
    I can give a litlle bit more context.
    When the hitmen were looking at the picture of the man thay have to kill, the "nephew" said:
    - He looks like my uncle Terry.
    - Uncle Terry? That's a new one.
    We have never heard of any of his uncles before, but we did have a thing about child abuse... You might have got the right meaning, Colmartranslation.
    Here is the conversation they had while waiting for a priest they had to kill, still in a car:
    (to the nephew): - You're worried.
    Nephew: - Maybe.
    - He (the priest)'s probably shagging kids. Might get you a pass on all the other terrible shit you've done.
    Nephew: - It's complicated.
    - As a parent I'd do them all. Even if I weren’t getting paid.
    Nephew: - Just for the record I've hardly done any terrible shit.

Anoukmac

French - France
    :) Thank you very much, Colmartranslation, but it's a british movie that's not even out yet in the UK... (I believe it will be in September)
    And I feel I shouldn't reveal the title, out of professionalism...
    But thanks a lot anyway for your great help...

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    "He wasn’t one of the people your old man took money off of to be your special uncle?"

This certainly is sexual:
    Il n'est pas parmi ceux qui ont donné de l'argent à ton père, afin d'être ton "oncle spécial"?

So C'mon, it's a family do probably means "Non, allons, c'est dans la famille / il est vraiment de la famille."

Last edited:

Anoukmac

French - France
    Thank you, Keith Bradford! So, if you too see a sexual reference, that's very helpful.
    In this case, can "family do" mean "une habitude/ tradition familiale"? (Since earlier in the movie, the "nephew" is accused by his pal and colleague of having done similar things)

Anoukmac

French - France
    Guess what, according to the client, there was a mistake in the script and it wasn't "family do", but "family day"!!! ("as in a day for the family when no one is allowed to swear or be revolting because it would upset the children that are present). But thank god for this mistake, or I would have missed the meaning of "special uncle" (which the client confirmed). So well done Colmartranslation and Keith Bradford!

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Hang on, you called it a British film. Is it in fact from Northern Ireland? Because if so, I can quite understand that you might be confused between the pronunciation of do/day, both of which to my ear sound rather like 'dee' in that accent.

Anoukmac

French - France
    It is indeed a film from Northern Ireland. Thanks, Keith. Now I don't feel so dumb not having heard "day"!

Last edited:

TRADLADY

French
    Guess what, according to the client, there was a mistake in the script and it wasn't "family do", but "family day"!!! ("as in a day for the family when no one is allowed to swear or be revolting because it would upset the children that are present). But thank god for this mistake, or I would have missed the meaning of "special uncle" (which the client confirmed). So well done Colmartranslation and Keith Bradford!
    :thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >