A farm where ...

vatrahos

American English
Şu cümleyi Türkçe olarak yazmak istiyorum:

"Ahmet and his family live on a farm where they raise animals and grow vegetables."

"Ahmet ve ailesi hayvanlar besleyip sebzeler yetiştirdikleri bir çiftlikte yaşıyorlar."

bu doğru mu?

Last edited:
  • Revontuli

Turkey-Turkish
    Merhaba:),

Cümlen doğru. Sadece bir şey hatırlatmak istiyorum:

Ahmet ve ailesi havyan besleyip sebze yetiştirdikleri bir çiftlikte yaşıyorlar.

Bu iki isim bu cümlede "topluluk adı/collective nouns" oldukları için çoğul kullanmaya gerek yok.

Revontuli

sunsail

de langue Turc
    Hi,

"Ahmet and his family live on a farm where they raise animals and grow vegetables"

why not "in a farm"? if you say "on a farm" donot you say something above a farm something?

Thanks

Şu cümleyi Türkçe olarak yazmak istiyorum:

"Ahmet and his family live on a farm where they raise animals and grow vegetables."

"Ahmet ve ailesi hayvanlar besleyip sebzeler yetiştirdikleri bir çiftlikte yaşıyorlar."

bu doğru mu?

vatrahos

American English
    why not "in a farm"? if you say "on a farm" donot you say something above a farm something?

Good question. I think that we say "on a farm" and not "in a farm" because we are talking about a kind of housing that is pretty open (There are lots of open spaces on a farm, so we say "on" rather than "in").

We do however say "He lives in an apartment," because an apartment is an enclosed space.

So, let me try to summarize:

live in - we say this with:
    - closed living spaces ["he lives in a big house"]
    - cities ["he lives in Mexico City"]
    - states ["he lives in Virginia"]
    - countries ["he lives in Russia"]
    - continents ["he lives in Europe"]
    - ecological zones [ "he lives in the desert / the woods / the mountains"]*

*one exception to ecological zones is water. Words such as lake, river or sea will take the word "on": "he lives on a lake." This does not mean that he lives "on top" of the water, but rather that he lives very near to it.

live on - we say this with:
    - open living spaces ["he lives on a farm / a military base"]
    - streets ["he lives on Third Street / Lexington Avenue / Highway 90"]

live at - we say this only if there is a possessive or modifying noun in front of the type of housing ["he lives at ... his uncle's place / a homeless shelter"]

I hope this helps you. Let me know if you have any further questions.

sunsail

de langue Turc
    Thanks
    here it says "in" for the streets,is it britain/american english difference?

"http://www.world-english.org/prepositions.htm"
    in + streets, roads, avenues: Moniuszki, Fish Street etc.. e.g. in Stratford Avenue.

Good question. I think that we say "on a farm" and not "in a farm" because we are talking about a kind of housing that is pretty open (There are lots of open spaces on a farm, so we say "on" rather than "in").

We do however say "He lives in an apartment," because an apartment is an enclosed space.

So, let me try to summarize:

live in - we say this with:
    - closed living spaces ["he lives in a big house"]
    - cities ["he lives in Mexico City"]
    - states ["he lives in Virginia"]
    - countries ["he lives in Russia"]
    - continents ["he lives in Europe"]
    - ecological zones [ "he lives in the desert / the woods / the mountains"]*

*one exception to ecological zones is water. Words such as lake, river or sea will take the word "on": "he lives on a lake." This does not mean that he lives "on top" of the water, but rather that he lives very near to it.

live on - we say this with:
    - open living spaces ["he lives on a farm / a military base"]
    - streets ["he lives on Third Street / Lexington Avenue / Highway 90"]

live at - we say this only if there is a possessive or modifying noun in front of the type of housing ["he lives at ... his uncle's place / a homeless shelter"]

I hope this helps you. Let me know if you have any further questions.

acemi

English
    The general rules are basically as described by Vatrahos. English is a language with many variations from rules.

Turkish '-de'/'-da' is translated to English as a preposition of place:
    in - used when the thing surrounds or encloses
    on - used for the thing is a surface
    at - used for a particular point

Variations in use can occur depending on perspective. So, consider that a street can be something that surrounds you or a surface on the earth, for example.

a general street name
    I live in Main street. :tick:
    I live on Main street. :tick:
    I live at Main street. :cross:

a particular point in/on the street
    I live in 24 Main street :cross:
    I live on 24 Main street. :cross:
    I live at 24 Main street. :tick:

I guess we never feel enclosed by a farm :)

< Previous | Next >