A father son relationship (punctuation)

< Previous | Next >

Packard

USA, English
I saw an advertisement that read:

A father son relationship so close that they shared a liver.

The ad goes on to describe a partial liver transplant.

My question is does the "father son" require some sort of punctuation?

father/son (looks too formal to me)
father, son (I believe I would use this)
father; son (I would not use this; it looks wrong to me)
father:son (no spaces, as an equation)
father son (no punctuation)

• Cypherpunk

US, English
    I agree that it does seem to need some type of punctuation. I understand the sentence, but none of these really work for me. I would use no punctuation or 'father-son', since we want to combine the idea of the two to describe the relationship. 'Father, son' breaks the sentence into two phrases, and this doesn't make any sense.

aircraftman3

Native: Polish; Variety: Englis(???)
    Hello!

father/son - this looks like it gives us some kind of choice between either father, or son;
    father, son - this clearly divides the sentence into two, whe way it should not do;
    father; son - next, this ends the sentence, wrong as well;
    father:son - i am not sure about that, but the colon makes it look as if the son "derived" from the father;
    father son - a version without any puctuation seems incorrect to me as well..

The only possible selection is "a father-son relationship". Thank Ya'll :). Adam

Trisia

Romanian
    A rule... hmmm. How about this one?
    1. Use a hyphen to join two or more words serving as a single adjective before a noun:

a one-way street
    chocolate-covered peanuts
    well-known author

Source: Purdue University Online Writing Lab (I found it by looking in the Resources post in the Sticky)
    This might sound weird, but should I choose to use "and," I'd still hyphenate. :eek:

Packard

USA, English
    A rule... hmmm. How about this one?
    This might sound weird, but should I choose to use "and," I'd still hyphenate. :eek:

I think the hyphen wins (unless someone else comes up with something).

But I see "mother daughter apartments" listed and they are rarely punctuated (but that's in the classified section of the paper where punctuation is a bit iffy anyway).

Basil Ganglia

English - USA
    I think it requires the hyphen and should be either "father-son" or "father-and-son" relationship.

I also think it should be "mother-daughter" apartments.

Packard

USA, English
    I think it requires the hyphen and should be either "father-son" or "father-and-son" relationship.

I also think it should be "mother-daughter" apartments.
    Yes I'm thinking that hyphens win and thanks to Trisia I've got a "rule" to fall back on too.

The balance of opinion is clearly against me, but I'd be tempted to use "father/son".

Source: Wikipedia
    I say, "father/son" is also possible, as "/" can also be used to replace "and" in certain cases.

I, however, would prefer "father-son".

A slash may represent 'and', as in: 1990/91, Minneapolis/St. Paul.
    Source: dictionary(dot)reference(dot)com

Last edited:

Packard

USA, English
    My problem with the "/" is that it starts to look a bit "mathematical" (for want of a better word) and that is contrary to the notion being advanced.

I guess this is a case where almost anything you want to write would be OK.

The problem with the ad itself was that the layout of the typography was a bit odd:

A
    father
    son relationship so close that they shared a liver.

I guess the addition of any punctuation in that layout would create a visual problem.​

ewie

English English
    'A bit odd'? Wow. I'd hate to see your definition of 'very odd':D

I'd have been very tempted to add an and in there:
    A
    father
    and son relationship so close that they shared a liver.

< Previous | Next >