a female janitor at a school

Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
Hi,

Inspired by a thread in the Slavic languages forum, I would like to know whether there's an informal/slang term for a female janitor at a school (ladies that usually clean in primary and/or highschools or take care of a school's cloakroom) and its literal meaning if it has one.
In Polish it's:
ciotka, ciocia which literally means auntie,
In Serbian:
We had male janitors (sometimes just charged for cleaning, but more often charged for "maintenance", like broken windows and such things), but I don't know any slang word for them, they had a honourable title of "domar" (housekeeper). But the ladies... they were tetkice, exactly as you said, meaning "aunties". And that IS a slang word, I never heard it beyond school.
Thank you in advance for your input. :)

Tom

• xqby

English (U.S.)
    You're out of luck with California, we just call all of them janitors.
    As far as I know the men and women in the profession have exactly the same duties.

loscrittore

Italian (mothertongue), English
    I don't know any slang word for it but in standard Italian a female janitor is called:

bidella

while a male janitor is: bidello

Encolpius

Hungarian
    Czech
    male janitor = školník
    female janitor = školnice (possible, never heard that)

Hungarian
    male janitor = gondnok
    and we have no real word for the female janitor, because I never heard or saw in my life a woman working as a janitor. :)
    Although you have words for that profession I'd find it more interesting to know if women really do that job over there.

In Greek:
    Επιστάτης (epi'statis, m)->male janitor
    Επιστάτρια (epi'statria, f.)->female janitor
    From the ancient verb ἐπιστατεύω->to authorise, to rule
    To be an επιστάτης, lit. means to "to be set over". The office is called Επιστασία (epista'sia, f.).
    I'm unaware of any slang terms for the epistatria.

Awwal12

Russian
    I'm afraid there is no such informal term in Russian. "Уборщица" /uborshchitsa/ (f., from the verb "убирать(ся)" /ubirat(sa)/ - to tidy (up), to clean up) is used in all cases I can imagine.

Last edited:

Trauer

Polish
    Hi,

Inspired by a thread in the Slavic languages forum, I would like to know whether there's an informal/slang term for a female janitor at a school (ladies that usually clean in primary and/or highschools or take care of a school's cloakroom) and its literal meaning if it has one.
    In Polish it's:
    ciotka, ciocia which literally means auntie,
    I've never heard of calling female janitor ciotka/ciocia... When I was in school we called her cieciowa (very colloquial) or woźna (official name). Male janitor is cieć (very colloquial) or woźny (official).

< Previous | Next >