A few days ago, I was going through my new sailing gear.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Franartes, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Franartes Senior Member

spanish
    Hi there!
    I came across this phrase while doing an English exercise. The thing is that I had four options to complete the phrase with which were:

A going through B settled down C checking up D passing over

According to the solutions given, the correct one is A: going through, whereas the one I chose was C: checking up, as it is speaking about a gear, so I can't see why this person is "going through" a gear instead "checking it up"

A few days ago, I was (7) ........ my new sailing gear ready for my first long trip, around the coast of Britain on the sailing ship Hirta.

I attach some more context:

The Sailing Trip
    A few days ago, I was (7) "going through" my new sailing gear ready for my first long trip, around the coast of Britain on the sailing ship Hirta. I watched a TV report of some fellow yachtsmen crossing the finishing (8) line off a place called Ushant to complete a record round-the-world voyage.
    Looking forward for your answers, and please correct my mistakes and inaccuracies. I will be very grateful.

2. MilkyBarKid Senior Member

British English
    What is meant by 'gear' in this sentence?

3. LilianaB Banned

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Going through is definitely the right choice. It means somebody was looking at different items of his sailing gear, trying to choose perhaps which things to take. It does not imply that he was checking the condition of those things, although he might have, but this is not self-evident. You could use check here as well but not check up. Check up has a different meaning. Check would imply that he was checking the condition of his gear. Check up does not fit as a construction here.

4. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    As MilkyBarKid hints, you should type gear into the search box. In this context, gear is uncountable.

5. Franartes Senior Member

spanish
    Thank you Liliana, you've help has been very useful.
    The only thing I still don't understand is why "checking up" doesn't fit in this context.
    He could have been cheking the state of the gear as well, couldn't he?

6. Franartes Senior Member

spanish
    Ok, now I can see by this definition. Is it because it has to go with the preposition 'on' and because it always means investigating whether something is true...?
    check up on investigate to establish the truth about or accuracy of.

7. Parla Member Emeritus

New York City
    English - US
    I don't like any of the choices, and the rest of the sentence isn't wonderful either.

If I were engaged in this activity, I'd be " . . . checking out or going over my gear, getting ready for my first long trip . . . ".

Was this exercise composed by a native speaker of English?

8. Franartes Senior Member

spanish
    That's a good point Parla. Actually, it is an exercise designed to get ready for the Proficiency exam of Cambridge. Then it is supposed to be composed by a native and expert teacher of English, as it is the highest level existing among the English official examinations overseas.
    I also found 'checking out' and thought is was suitable.

9. MilkyBarKid Senior Member

British English
    In this multiple test item, two items are more obviously wrong, and so designed to weed out those who haven't a clue, or answering randomly. (C) is the distractor item, since 'checking up on' may well seem preferable to 'going through'. BUT... the test here is to recognize the difference between 'checking up' and 'checking up on', and discriminate that therefore, only (A) fits.
    That the test item 'works' is evidenced by this thread. :)

10. Franartes Senior Member

spanish
    Ok, and what's the difference between "check" and "check up". According to some dictionaries, they seem to have the same meaning, and according to some natives the answer would have been c) if it was "checking" and not "checking up".

11. LilianaB Banned

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Hi, Franartes. It cannot be checking up in this context. It could be checking, in my opinion, as in checking the condition of my gear, but checking is not an option in this test, plus it is new gear, which helps even more, since one would be less likely to check the condition of new gear.