A few questions from a reading exercise

jbionic2010

Hindu
Please first read the following Turkish text
https://photos.app.goo.gl/HEcLA3ZxUwgKvcdZ2

Then refer to the highlighted parts.

1.My first question is about affixes in "düşündüklerini". I do understand that the very last affix -i is the accusative affix caused by transitive properties of "söyleyince".
However my confusion is related to affix -leri? At first glance I thought this was the plural possessive affix, but then upon checking with the English translation I decided that the affix was actually composite of plural "ler" + singular possessive "i" as if it conveyed the meaning that many thoughts all belonged to Nurullah Bey himself. Obviously, "arkadaşları" would have the meaning "his friends" rather than "their friend".
Is this correct?

2.What is the correct morphological structure of "karşılamayan"? Does "ama" means negation of -EBIL in this particular case?

3.What is the meaning of "içtimai"?

Attachments

• CHovek

Turkish
    1)What he/they think or thought(his/their thought)=Düşündüğü
    What he/they think or thought(his/their thoughts)=Düşündükleri

2)iyi karşıla-ma-yan =not liking or not approving... , -ma=not
    karşılayan=liking or approving ...,
    karşıla-y-ama-yan= -y is the buffer, -ama is negation of -ebil,-abil

3)içtimai= social (but toplumsal is much more common)

Last edited:

jbionic2010

Hindu
    1)What he/they think or thought(his/their thought)=Düşündüğü
    Perhaps I learnt Turkish by reading a wrong book, but how comes Düşündüğü also stands for what THEY thought?

Bespelled

Romanian / Moldova
    Perhaps I learnt Turkish by reading a wrong book, but how comes Düşündüğü also stands for what THEY thought?
    "Onların düşündükleri" is the longer (and I guess the original) grammatical form, but in many cases it is permissible to drop the "ler" affix in plural possessive constructions. Therefore, "onların düşündüğü" does indeed mean "what they thought".

"Onun düşündüğü", however, means "what s/he thought", so you have to judge by the context.

Generally, you would not drop the "ler" part if it could cause confusion.

Last edited:

CHovek

Turkish
    In Turkish plural pronouns can take plural verbs or singular verbs.

"Onlar gittiler" and "onlar gitti" are both correct and current.

< Previous | Next >