a fifteen-to-twenty-year cycle

vkhu

Vietnamese
In many ways, the cycle of violence in Silo Eighteen was no different than what took place elsewhere. Beyond being more severe, it was the same waxing and waning of the mobs, of each generation revolting against the last, a fifteen-to-twenty-year cycle of bloody upheaval.
I'm not sure on the time frame mentioned. Does it mean every 15-20 years, there'll be a bloody upheaval, or that a bloody upheaval that last 15-20 years will always come in a cycle?

Source: Silo Series by Hugh Howey

• london calling

UK English
    I take it to mean there was a revolt every about every 15 or 20 years but you're the one reading the book, so what it actually means should be clearer to you as you read, I think.

kentix

English - U.S.
    ...of each generation revolting against the last, a fifteen-to-twenty-year cycle of bloody upheaval.

It's talking about the whole cycle. The difference between generations is 15 to 20 years. If I'm born today, I can have offspring in 15 to 20 years. In 15 to 20 years my offspring can have offspring.

So if my children's generation grows to adulthood and revolts against my generation there will be some kind of conflict and bloody fighting for a time. In that conflict, my children's generation might gain the power and some amount of peace will be restored. Now guess what happens when their children grow to adulthood. They will revolt against their parents' generation and the entire 20-year cycle will repeat.

Roxxxannne

English (northeastern US)
    As I recall from reading the book (as soon as I saw 'Silo Eighteen' I knew what you were reading), the writer means relatively short-lived cycles of violence that recur every 15 to 20 years.

< Previous | Next >