a first-baby mother and her opposite

< Previous | Next >

Chrzaszcz Saproksyliczny

Polish - Poland
Hi.
I'm wondering if you know any special words for
1) a woman who's had her first baby
2) a woman who's had several babies in her life
I guess no. 1 can be plainly called a "first-baby mother", but what about no. 2? A medical jargon term would be fine. My question is mostly about what word would a gynaecologist or obstetrician use.

• Andygc

British English
    The adjectives primigravid and multigravid refer to pregnancies, primiparous and multiparous refer to births of viable offspring. The parity adjectives are based on the number of pregnancies, not the number of infants. A primiparous woman could have sextuplets, but she'd still be primigravid during the pregnancy and primiparous after it.

The Newt

English - US
    The adjectives primigravid and multigravid refer to pregnancies, primiparous and multiparous refer to births of viable offspring. The parity adjectives are based on the number of pregnancies, not the number of infants. A primiparous woman could have sextuplets, but she'd still be primigravid during the pregnancy and primiparous after it.
    True!

Hermione Golightly

British English
    The Google article explains how the number of births is indicated. In general the number is put after the 'multipara', 'multip4' but the criteria for what's counted as a birth are quite complicated. I suppose that might be only American practice. I read the article yesterday and that's just what I recall.

Andygc

British English
    It's not complicated, Hermione. The only questionable part is the duration of pregnancy used to decide "viability" of the foetus, which varies between countries. I should have written "potentially viable" in my previous post; a stillbirth counts towards parity. The only difference between a spontaneous abortion and a stillbirth is the duration of the pregnancy, so there's an element of arbitrariness in differentiating between parity and gravidity.

< Previous | Next >