a first class stamp

Vivemafille

English
I can find first-class for travel, but not when it refers to mail, e.g., How much does a first-class stamp cost? Thank you in advance.

• SuperXW

Are you referring to United States postage rates? I haven't heard of such a thing in China. You may have to clarify what it is if you want to say it in Chinese.

Last edited:

Vivemafille

English
    Yes, I am referring to U.S. postage rates.

How does this sound? 第一 类 邮资

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperXW

I only heard of that rate but not sure what it means. Anyway, if it means "the highest class", we usually translate it as 一等; if it means "category one", then 第一类.

Skatinginbc

Mandarin 國語
    I can find first-class for travel, but not when it refers to mail, e.g., How much does a first-class stamp cost? Thank you in advance.
    British English and American English would make a difference in Chinese translation. In the US, there is no such thing as "second-class" stamps and the first-class mail is the least expensive (not counting postcards). So the first-class = the lowest-class :D.

PS. Sorry, I didn't see #3. Since you are referring to the US postage rates, I think 第一类邮资 is a good translation. I usually say 普通資費 "cost for the first-class mail" and 普通邮票 "first-class stamp" in Taiwan.

Last edited:

Vivemafille

English
    British English and American English would make a difference in Chinese translation. In the US, there is no such thing as "second-class" stamps and the first-class mail is the least expensive (not counting postcards). So the first-class = the lowest-class :D.

PS. Sorry, I didn't see #3. Since you are referring to the US postage rates, I think 第一类邮资 is a good translation. I usually say 普通資費 "cost for the first-class mail" and 普通邮票 "first-class stamp" in Taiwan.
    Thank you. U.S. Postal Service "first class" is indeed confusing. Although it is the normal/standard way to send a letter, there are faster and more expensive options available, such as "Priority, Express, and Overnight." Thus, it doesn't equate with first-class on a plane or train.

Skatinginbc

Mandarin 國語
    I made a typo in #6. I meant to say 普通邮資 or 普通邮費 for "cost for the first-class mail". Somehow I wrote 普通資費 instead.

< Previous | Next >