A five piaster/piastre loaf

Escorpiana.com

Español - Argentina
Hello! I would like to know if "piaster" has a translation into spanish (this is a translation from arabic to english) or if I shall write "Pan piaster"?

• Finland

finnois
    Hello!

I would like to know if "piaster" has a translation into spanish (this is a translation from arabic to english) or if I shall write "Pan piaster"?
    If you mean for example "a 2 piaster loaf", it means a loaf that costs 2 piasters. As far as I know, "piaster loaf" as such does not mean anything.

HTH
    S

Escorpiana.com

Español - Argentina
    A man drops sth on the table, I can't see what it is. His wife, who is cooking, asks him: "Just two?" And he answers: "The 5 piaster loaves were sold out".
    She answers: "You sleep late for the crap you smoke. How would I feed the kids?"
    I understood it was some type of arabic bread. If it is currency (I can´t read what you wrote, إسكندراني , cause I don't know arabic), I don't understand what was sold out.

Tracer

American English
    Assuming Egyptian Arabic is the language of the original, "Piastre loaf" appears to be another inadequate English translation for the actual Arabic phrase (possibly عيش بلادي ).

The word "piastre" (also spelled "piaster), a monetary unit, exists in English but it is not used unless you're referring to a foreign currency. Few USA English speakers would know what it means (that's why it's an inadequate translation).

In any case, what the phrase refers to is (most likely) some kind of inexpensive bread within the price range of all citizens (of Egypt).

Without knowing the exact Arabic phrase used, I would venture to say that a better English translation would be:

"a penny loaf" ( "
    A penny loaf was a common size loaf of bread in England regulated by the Assize of Bread Act of 1266" (!!). - Wikipedia). And even though this is an
    astonishingly antique phrase, most English speakers would know what it means (inexpensive bread).

Spanish? I definitely wouldn't use "Pan Piaster". That sounds like somebody's name in a fairy tale. No Spanish speaker would know what you meant. You'd probably have to use something like "pan barato" or "pan de un centavo" - something to get the idea across that "inexpensive bread" is what you're referring to.

Last edited:

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    A man drops sth on the table, I can't see what it is. His wife, who is cooking, asks him: "Just two?" And he answers: "The 5 piaster loaves were sold out".
    A five piaster loaf (or 5 piaster anything) means that the loaf costs/is sold at 5 piasters. One Egyptian pound is 100 piasters. (it's like the centime (?) to the euro).
    And a 5 piaster loaf is the cheapest type of bread you can buy in Egypt. The problem is that it's sold until a certain hour of the day, so if you go late (like that man did) you won't find any bread left and you can only buy any kind of bread that is more expensive. This is ok for well-off persons and those with small family, but if the family has many children and/or is poor, buying bread that costs more than 5 piaster a loaf constitutes a financial burden.

See how context is important? :)
    [...] the actual Arabic phrase (possibly عيش بلادي ).
    Yes, it's called "3esh baladi" عيش بلدي .
    You'd probably have to use something like "pan barato" or "pan de un centavo" - something to get the idea across that "inexpensive bread" is what you're referring to.
    I like that. I think it conveys the idea. Unless there's a Spanish equivalent.

< Previous | Next >