a five-point U-turn

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by elmingo, Sep 1, 2011.

  1. elmingo Senior Member

    France, French

    It's about someone doing a U-turn with his car. Does it mean it is like three-moves, drawing a five-point star from above ? Or something else?

    Thanks for your help
  2. jann

    jann co-mod'

    English - USA
    This is a three-point turn, named for the three lines of motion involved (forward, reverse, forward).

    If space is very limited, or if the driver is incompetent, you can imagine that it might take a little extra maneuvering to turn around... forcing the driver to make "five point" turn instead (forward, reverse, forward, reverse, forward). Neither of these turns are technically "U-turns," but the point is that they all reverse the direction of travel by 180°.
  3. elmingo Senior Member

    France, French
    Thanks a lot for the explanation, jann.

Share This Page