a flat grade or mark

epistolario

Tagalog
How would you express that your academic grade or mark is exact? Have you encountered students who would make their grade sound better by removing the additional details? (I forgot the term for this.) For example, Joe got a B- in math or John got an A- in history, but they would say that they got a B or an A, which sound slightly better.

Usually, averages involve decimals. If you want to make it plain that your average grade or mark is exact, would you use the adjective flat?

Joe got a flat B in science. (His grade is neither B+ nor B-.)​
Jane got a GPA of flat 2. (not 2.01 - 2.99)​
Juan has obtained his degree in Spain, and his average mark was a flat 8. (not 8.01 - 8.99)​

• Barque

Tamil
    I suppose you could use "flat". It's certainly understandable, but somehow I don't particularly like it.
    Joe got a flat B in science. (His grade is neither B+ nor B-.)
    An option is: John got a plain B in science. But that doesn't sound particularly good to me either. I think I'd say it in detail. John got a B in science. Not a B- or B+ or any other variation. Just a B.
    Jane got a GPA of flat 2. (not 2.01 - 2.99)
    With numbers, it's easier. You can use "exactly". Jane got a GPA of exactly 2.
    Juan's obtained his degree in Spain, and his average mark was a flat 8. (not 8.01 - 8.99)
    Again, exactly.

Ponyprof

Canadian English
    How would you express that your academic grade or mark is exact? Have you encountered students who would make their grade sound better by removing the additional details? (I forgot the term for this.) For example, Joe got a B- in math or John got an A- in history, but they would say that they got a B or an A, which sound slightly better.

Usually, averages involve decimals. If you want to make it plain that your average grade or mark is exact, would you use the adjective flat?

Joe got a flat B in science. (His grade is neither B+ nor B-.)​
    Jane got a GPA of flat 2. (not 2.01 - 2.99)​
    Juan has obtained his degree in Spain, and his average mark was a flat 8. (not 8.01 - 8.99)​
    If John got a B minus in a course but told his friends or parents that he got a B, then he is lying.

I'm afraid there is nothing you can do as a teacher or administrator to stop college age students from lying. John is also free to tell his parents he got an A.

This is why in grade school, parents have to sign off on report cards to verify they have seen the actual grades.

This is also why we require a high school transcript before a student is accepted to college, and why professors can request to see a student's college transcript to date.

It's not unheard of for a student to get upset about a low grade and tell the professor they deserve a higher grade because they have been an A student up to now. Then when the professor checks the trandcript it turns out they have a C minus grade point average.

If your institution has a clear statement about how letter grades and percentages align, there should be no genuine confusion about this.

< Previous | Next >