a flat on/in N Boulevard

Zsuzsu

Hungarian
Hi there,

Would you prefer in or on in relation to boulevard?
This is my sentence:

"Fortunately, I have a friend who has got a flat in/on N. Boulevard and we can live there until we find a house of our own."

My BBI dictionary (of English word combinations) has only "on" with this word but it says that with street, for example, one can use either - depending on what dialect they speak (in the street: esp. British; on the street: esp. American).

I wonder if it is the same with boulevard? Would an American prefer to say "a flat on N. Boulevard" and a Briton "a flat in N. Boulevard"?

Thanks in advance!

• Franzi

(San Francisco) English
    I speak AE. I would say that my apartment is on N. Boulevard. My friend could be standing in the street outside of my apartment. (I would never say 'flat'.)

Zsuzsu

Hungarian
    Oh, yes, I have forgotten that the Americans say "apartment" and not flat. This is because I used British in my sentence (and my priority is to find out which preposition is commonly used in Britain, but of course I would also like to know if there are any dialectical differences here between American and British English).
    Thank you Franzi!:)

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    The BE answer is not simple.
    It depends on where you are and how big the street is.
    It also depends on whether the street is called Something Street or Something Avenue or Something Boulevard, or ....
    And of course it depends on local convention.

For more information - much more information - see in on street

< Previous | Next >