a flat smile

Linhpi

Vietnamese
Hi there!

I have only a quick question: can anyone describe a "flat smile"? I tried googling images but the results were so various and different from each other that I couldn't see the point why they called it "flat".

Do you show your teeth when you have a "flat smile"?

• mplsray

Hi there!

I have only a quick question: can anyone describe a "flat smile"? I tried googling images but the results were so various and different from each other that I couldn't see the point why they called it "flat".

Do you show your teeth when you have a "flat smile"?
    I expect that most native speakers of English would take flat smile to be a slight upturn of the sides of the mouth, with the teeth kept hidden.

There are examples of "flat smile arc" in Web sites which have to do with orthodontics, but I expect that involves a technical term which may or may not overlap with the popular meaning.

Linhpi

Vietnamese
    I don't have a particular sentence, JameM. A friend told me he often reserved a flat smile when he didn't like someone. Now thinking back I still cannot picture a "flat smile" in my mind. (And I can't tell him to demonstrate it to me since he left the city already :D)

Southron Partisan

English - American South
    If I may, I would describe a "flat smile" as a smile offered just to be seen as smiling, but with no emotion. Perhaps to be polite when one would rather not be.

Similar to "half-hearted".

< Previous | Next >