A flight (A to B & B to A)

< Previous | Next >

interwrit

Polish
Hi there! :)

Well, let's imagine, we bought a round-trip ticket, are in A and will be flying to B.

So, we'll have 2 flights:
(1) - from A to B.
(2) - from B to A.

How would you call (1) and (2)? Are there terms for them both, for either of them or for none?

Thanks a million in advance! :)

• pob14

American English
    The airline I use most often calls them "Departing Flight" and "Returning Flight" on their website. There are probably other terms. (edit: as sound shift's post shows.)

Copyright

American English
    Both suggestions above are fine. In airline terminology, and for mileage rewards computation, each flight is called a sector. It depends on how conversational or technical you wish to be.

interwrit

Polish
    Both suggestions above are fine. In airline terminology, and for mileage rewards computation, each flight is called a sector. It depends on how conversational or technical you wish to be.
    Well, as far as a sector goes, I've read somewhere that in AmE it's called a leg.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    The WRF dictionary has this defintion of leg (among many others):
    "a section or part of a journey or course"
    My experience is that the use of leg is for complex trips where there are plane changes and each takeoff/landing even is a "leg", rather than for "outbound flight" and "return flight" in a simple round trip.

interwrit

Polish
    Well, as far as a sector goes, I've read somewhere that in AmE it's called a leg.
    The WRF dictionary has this defintion of leg (among many others):
    "a section or part of a journey or course"
    My experience is that the use of leg is for complex trips where there are plane changes and each takeoff/landing even is a "leg", rather than for "outbound flight" and "return flight" in a simple round trip.

Right, to clarify it, I mean (but wrote something different... argh) that the 'a leg' term is one more term related to flying. Copyright wrote that each flight is called a sector. To add, 'a sector' is additionally a part of a flight! So is 'a leg'. So, a flight can have 2 or more sectors/legs and be a sector/leg itself.

Last edited:

Wordsmyth

Native language: English (BrE)
    Having worked in the industry for many years, this is my perception of the various terms used in a commercial context:

- A trip is a passenger's total journey made in a single reservation. (It may include several flights, e.g. A-B >> B-C-D >> D-A)
    - A flight is the aircraft's total journey from a specified origin to a specified destination; it's usually identified by a given flight number. (It may be single-sector or multi-sector): (A-B, or A-B-C, or A-B-C-D, ...)
    - A sector is a a flight, or part of a flight, that includes only one takeoff and one landing (no intermediate stops). (A-B, or B-C, or C-D, ...)
    - A leg is (mostly in AmE) a lesser-used alternative name for a sector.
    - A segment is occasionally used to mean a sector, though in certain domains (network and traffic planning, yield management, ...) it can also refer to multi-sector parts of a flight (e.g. A-B-C as a segment of flight A-B-C-D).

That said, both trip and flight can be used differently on the technical operations side of airlines, and differently again by the accountants — whilst pilots have a jargon of their own, and Marketing and PR are a law unto themselves!
    The airline I use most often calls them "Departing Flight" and "Returning Flight" on their website. [...]
    That seems really strange to me, pob. A-B is indeed a departing flight when you leave from airport A; it's then an arriving flight at airport B. For the return trip B-A, your flight is a departing flight from B. Maybe it's the PR people in your airline who thought up those names.:p

In your example, interwrit, I'd call A-B the outbound flight, and B-A the return flight (very similar to sound shift's suggestion).

Ws:)

< Previous | Next >