a flight landing/was hit

< Previous | Next >
  • Teerex51

Italian, standard
    An airline's service is called a flight. It can land, be delayed or even get hit by a drone.

You have surely heard about Malaysian MH370. MH370 was a flight.

Myridon

English - US
    (A British Airways flight) (landing at Heathrow Airport) is believed to have collided with a drone.
    While landing at Heathrow Airport, a British Airways flight is believed to have collided with a drone.

Renatrix

polski
    (A British Airways flight) (landing at Heathrow Airport) is believed to have collided with a drone.
    While landing at Heathrow Airport, a British Airways flight is believed to have collided with a drone.
    "Flight" is motion, the process of flying. "Flight landing" and "flight colliding" sound clumsy to me.

Andygc

British English
    A flight is also an aeroplane operating a scheduled service. A "flight landing" is not at all clumsy, it's normal English (post #2).

I suggest you look at "flight" in the Wordreference dictionary and scroll down to the Collins entry which gives the BE meanings.

Erebos12345

Canadian English
    "Flight" is motion, the process of flying. "Flight landing" and "flight colliding" sound clumsy to me.
    Hello

I can see your confusion here, but in aviation, a flight technically refers to the aircraft movement from as soon as it leaves the gate and starts running on its own power, till it stops at the gate and no longer runs on its own power.

Even on the ground, when it's taxiing, air traffic control will still communicate with it as flight XX123, giving it instructions on which way to taxi and when to take off etc.

As such, you can say that flight XX123's left engine burst into flames shortly after leaving the gate, as it was taxiing out to the runway, even though flight XX123 may not have even left the ground yet.

The usage of flight in your sentence is fine.
    EDIT: Though this may be a more technical definition of flight used in aviation, the news media may have decided to go along with it as well.
    EDIT 2: typo

Last edited:

e2efour

UK English
    I can't imagine firing a rocket at a flight or a bird hitting a flight. It certainly wouldn't be my first choice.
    Of course, flight is sometimes used in the sense of a plane, e.g. Flight 999 is delayed might appear on a noticeboard.

It would sound just as strange if someone said Look at that flight up there!

However, once you identify a flight by giving it a number, it becomes less absurd to talk about it when you really mean the aircraft.

Last edited:

Andygc

British English
    As I already said in post #5, a flight is also an aeroplane operating a scheduled service. It's a standard meaning of the word "flight" and is in no way unusual or remarkable.

e2efour

UK English
    The problem lies in deciding when a plane becomes a flight and vice versa.

The two words are not always interchangeable (see, for example, the Wikipedia article about bird strikes).

Last edited:

Teerex51

Italian, standard
    The problem lies in deciding when a plane becomes a flight and vice versa.
    In post #7, Erebos12345 provided an exhaustive answer to your question, i.e., a flight technically refers to the aircraft movement from as soon as it leaves the gate and starts running on its own power,
    till it stops at the gate and no longer runs on its own power.

Before it leaves the gate and after it stops at the gate it's just an aircraft.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Can a flight land or be hit? Is it common and correct to use 'flight' to mean a plane/jet, etc.?
    Yes, if the plane is carrying scheduled passengers, it is called a "flight". The word "flight" can mean the plane, the route, the scheduled service, and other similar things.

< Previous | Next >