A flight of steps?

< Previous | Next >

jamal mohammed

libya,arabic
Hello,
I would like to know what does the expression"a flight of steps" mean in the sentence "I followed him up in aflight of steps." thanks for your help.

• elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    jamal mohammed said:
    Hello,
    I would like to know what does the expression"a flight of steps" mean in the sentence "I followed him up in aflight of steps." thanks for your help.
    It means "a staircase."

Are you sure the sentence is correct, though? I would have said "I followed him up a flight of steps/stairs."

gotitadeleche

U.S.A. English
    A flight of steps is a continuous run of steps between landings. So if you go up 10 steps, come to a straight flat area for awhile, and then climb another 10 steps, you have gone up 2 flights of steps. Inside a building the landing is often the area where the stairs change directions. So you go up one flight of steps in one direction, turn at the landing, and go up another flight of steps in the opposite direction. Did that make sense?

RoyP

English - UK
    A flight of stairs. A single flight of steps or stair would be a single block of stairs (usually less than 20), large runs of steps will often be divided into multiple flights with large flat areas in between in order to match the desired incline.

< Previous | Next >