a flirt of silk slip at the hem

< Previous | Next >

jacdac

Lebanese
The beach was a long white edging, like a flirt of silk slip at the hem of the bright blue sea, and it was totally empty except for a round object about seventy yards away. This round object was about the size of a basketball, and it filled Ralph with a fear that was both deep and –for the moment, at least –groundless.
Source: Insomnia by Stephen King

What is your interpretation of flirt in this context?

I gloss the literal meaning of silk slip: silky piece of womenʼs underwear like a thin dress or skirt, worn under a dress.
Would a flirt of = sexy?

Thank you.

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    A flirt (in a clothing context) is any border of material that is attached to the hem of a skirt/dress/cardigan/jumper as decoration, or by design, and that hangs loosely so that it may flare out when the wearer walks.

The lower pleats are "the flirt".

jacdac

Lebanese
    Thank you. That makes it a beautiful sexy imagery of the beach, though the rest of the dream (in the rest of the chapter) is full of horrors.

Last edited:

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Building tension is all about contrast. ;) It looks innocent and enticing... but is it? :eek:

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Hmm...I would call that a "frill", Paul. I've done a fair amount of dressmaking in my time, but I've never come across "flirt" as a sewing term.

I think a glimpse of silk showing under a hem can be flirty or sexy, but I think it's just a metaphor.

A flirt (in a clothing context) is any border of material that is attached to the hem of a skirt/dress/cardigan/jumper as decoration, or by design, and that hangs loosely so that it may flare out when the wearer walks.

My image, Paul, is more like this:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/f2/01/de/f201debbb5fb3cc7493ccb9e617acd30--skirt-suits-petticoats.jpg'] https://i.pinimg.com/736x/f2/01/de/f201debbb5fb3cc7493ccb9e617acd30--skirt-suits-petticoats.jpg

I tend to think it's a metaphor, and your example is 'flirty' also.

Last edited:

Myridon

English - US
    As Stephen King is not a dressmaker, I'm siding with velisarius. A flirty, teasing glimpse of her (probably white) silk slip (undergarment) is showing from beneath the hem of her blue dress.

< Previous | Next >