A fools lies here who tried to hustle the East.

< Previous | Next >

friedric

polski
Dear all,

what the following sentence, supposed to mean?
"A fools lies here who tried to hustle the East."
What comes to mind is "nobody is able to tame the East". I come across this R. Kipling thought as a single, no context sentence. What confuses me is "lies here", so, maybe he was talking about people who died trying to hustle the east?

Thank you

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    This is from a poem in Kipling's book The Naulahka. One of the book's themes is the difference between Western (U.S.) and Eastern (Indian) cultures. This line means that Westerners, who are used to a fast-paced life, will die before they can make Easterners move quickly.

(I.m not saying that Indians move slowly. I have spent some time in India, know many Indians in the U.S. education and high-tech fields, and know that this is not true. I'm simply trying to interpret what Kipling wrote. It has been said that Kipling understood India, but did not understand Indians.)

ewie

English English
    I imagine the original actually says A fool lies here ...

XXX lies here
    is the kind of inscription you see on gravestones, Friedric ~ typically "Here lies the body of XXX XXX" (as in this linked image).

Hustle most likely means definition 2, 3 or 4.

When Kipling refers to the East he quite likely means India.

EDIT: Cross-posted with Egmont:) ~ we both favour def. 2 of hustle:thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >