a former Marine and retired/relieving school teacher

mhm84

Bengali - Bangladesh
Hi Teachers,
Do you think the answer of the following one will always be (d)? Why not (b) as well?

Evan Keliher, who is a former Marine and (retire) _____ school teacher, was diagnosed with glaucoma in the 1960s.
a) relieve; b) retired; c) relieves; d) relieving

thanks

• srk

English - US
    I would only answer b). Why is the word "retire" in parentheses before the blank?

I don't know what a "relieving school teacher" is, unless it is (in AE) a substitute school teacher.

Myridon

English - US
    When a question like this has a word in parentheses, it means that a form of that word should go in the blank.
    B) is the only one that is a form of "retire".
    I think the test maker may have meant to write "a) retire; b) retired; c) retires; d) retiring." The answer would still be b).

sdgraham

USA English
    When a question like this has a word in parentheses, it means that a form of that word should go in the blank.
    B) is the only one that is a form of "retire".
    I think the test maker may have meant to write "a) retire; b) retired; c) retires; d) retiring." The answer would still be b).
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I agree about the answer. I also agree that the test-maker may have made a mistake.

Apparently, in New Zealand an Australia, a substitute teacher is sometimes called a 'relief teacher. The writer of the test may have been thinking of that and become confused.

Common synonyms for substitute teacher include relief teacher or casual teacher (used in Australia and New Zealand)

Elaine Koh

Singapore English
    I would only answer b). Why is the word "retire" in parentheses before the blank?

I don't know what a "relieving school teacher" is, unless it is (in AE) a substitute school teacher.
    Where I live, we use 'relief teacher'.
    Hi Teachers,
    Do you think the answer of the following one will always be (d)? Why not (b) as well?

Evan Keliher, who is a former Marine and (retire) _____ school teacher, was diagnosed with glaucoma in the 1960s.
    a) relieve; b) retired; c) relieves; d) relieving

thanks
    Where I live, we use 'relief school teacher'.

sdgraham

USA English
    The web site to which the above link goes does not appear to be a U.S. site, but they hide their actual location.

b is the only possible answer in AE, as previous contributors to this two-year-old thread have said.

Szkot

UK English
    This may not be an totally reliable site. Here is another question:

Determine the type of Figure of Speech that best fit the sentence: Samantha and I sat in chairs that ha been set up near the table.
    A) Metaphor
    B) Hyperbole
    C) Simile
    D) Understatement
    The 'correct' answer is B :eek::eek::eek:

< Previous | Next >