a fresh seven figure advance

Lee Jongho

Korean
What does "a fresh seven figure advance" mean?

What does "a troubled four-year-old girl" mean? "troubled" in particular?

What does "a broken foster care system" mean? "broken" in particular?

<-----Additional question removed by moderator (Florentia52)----->.

The source is "The Broken Ones" by Ren Richards.

The complete sentence follows:

Nell Way is no stranger to criminals. She was born in Royal King's State Penitentiary and raised in a broken foster care system. But by age twenty-nine, she has gained bestseller status and a fresh seven figure advance for her latest true crime novel. However there's one story she doesn't tell: Ten years earlier, Nell was a teenage mother of a troubled four-year-old girl who went missing without a trace. <-----Excess quote removed by moderator (Florentia52)----->

Last edited:
  • kentix

English - U.S.
    You need to split two questions into two posts.

So I'll answer the first one here and I can answer the second one in your other, new post.

And that's what "fresh" means in this context. It means new. She has a new advance from her publisher. That means they give her money in advance while she works on her new book. She can live on that money while she's writing.

How much money do they give her? That's what seven figures means. It's a number with seven digits - like $1,000,000 or $2,000,000 or maybe $1,750,000. It covers any number with seven digits.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    "Seven-figure" means that is between 1,000,000 and 9,999,999 (all the numbers with seven digits). In this case, the context tells us that it is an amount of U.S. dollars.

An advance is money that an author gets from a publisher before a book is published. The author does not get any additional royalties until the amount of royalties is enough to cover the advance. If the book doesn't earn enough money for the royalties to cover the advance, the publisher loses money.

Lee Jongho

Korean
    You need to split two questions into two posts.

So I'll answer the first one here and I can answer the second one in your other, new post.

And that's what "fresh" means in this context. It means new. She has a new advance from her publisher. That means they give her money in advance while she works on her new book. She can live on that money while she's writing.

How much money do they give her? That's what seven figures means. It's a number with seven digits - like $1,000,000 or $2,000,000 or maybe $1,750,000. It covers any number with seven digits.
    Thank you for the helpful explanation..^^

< Previous | Next >