a friend is doing the job/task/work

maferaluz

Spanish
Hi there,

I´ve got a question regarding these three words (job/work/task) in the following sentence:

"We don´t need a disc jockey since a friend of mine is going to do the JOB/ WORK / or TASK"

Which one would you use?

Thanks in advace!!

• inib

British English
    According to WR rules, first you should tell us which one you would use and why. Then we can make comments or corrections.
    It would also be helpful to know whether there is any other context or if it's just a multiple choice question. I do have a preference for one term, but there is another that I wouldn't consider impossible in certain situations.

fenixpollo

American English
    According to WR rules, first you should tell us which one you would use and why. Then we can make comments or corrections.
    It would also be helpful to know whether there is any other context or if it's just a multiple choice question. I do have a preference for one term, but there is another that I wouldn't consider impossible in certain situations.
    I agree with inib. More context is necessary, because any of the three could be correct:

We don't need a disc jockey since a friend of mine is going to do the job. (si te quieres enfocar en el puesto, o trabajo, de ser DJ)
    We don't need a disc jockey since a friend of mine is going to do the work. (si te quieres enfocar en el esfuerzo de ser DJ)
    We don't need a disc jockey since a friend of mine is going to do the task. (si te quieres enfocar en la tarea de ser DJ)

maferaluz

Spanish
    Hello,

First of all, thank you everyone and sorry for not having provided the context.

The context is an email to book a hotel room to organise a party. In it, the writer is asking, among other things, for music, but not a disc jockey since a friend of his is going to do the job/task/work.
    My option, inib, was "job" but I wasn´t sure, because of that I needed your help.

Now I know that any of them would work.

Thanks again

Cheers

inib

British English
    Hello maferaluz,
    I think you were on the right track, then. As it's a "one-off" occasion, I agree that "job" is the best choice. ("Job" can also be used for a more permanent "puesto de trabajo", as Fenixpollo says). Though I wouldn't say that "work" is completely impossible here, I find it a bit too general. And my objection to "task" in this instance is that it sounds to me as if the friend might be doing it a bit unwillingly. Some of these nuances may be felt differently by other speakers.

< Previous | Next >