A friend of mine had himself ordained a minister of his own religion.

Agito a42

Source: From Dusk Till Dawn (1996), an American movie.

A criminal is looking through an old man's wallet and finds a priest's licence or something like that (the old man is a pastor).
Criminal: Is that real? I've seen one of these things before. A friend of mine had himself ordained a minister of his own religion. Some way to fuck the IRS.

Does "his own religion" imply that his friend is a member of some kind of religious sect? Or it simply tells us that he is not a Christian?

• Copyright

American English
    It tells us that the person founded his own religion and then had himself ordained as a minister of that religion.

Agito a42

Is this really possible? I mean, in the US you could that easily found your own religion, anoint yourself minister of sorts and thus become eligible for tax avoidance?

Last edited:

se16teddy

English - England
    Does "his own religion" imply that his friend is a member of some kind of religious sect? Or it simply tells us that he is not a Christian?
    It is ambiguous. When I read the title of this thread only, I took it to mean that the friend was - say - a Presbyterian by birth or by choice and subsequently became a Presbyterian Minister. But in the context of tax avoidance, founding a new religion seems more likely.

< Previous | Next >