A friend to whom I can speak my mind

youngwoo

Korean
Hello!

While I was having conversation with a native Chinese speaker, I tried to say "I like having a friend to whom I can speak my mind"

So I said "我喜欢有一个可以把我心目中所有的想法都发泄出来的朋友" I punctuated several times while saying this sentence, and after I finished the conversation, I wondered if : 1)this sentence well conveyed the idea that I wanted to express. The reason I felt this sentence awkward is the omission of "给", which I think is supposed to be inserted somewhere in that sentence, for that sentence to have the meaning of speaking my mind to someone.

2)and I also wondered if that way of arranging the words to produce that meaning which commonly necessitates the usage of relative pronoun such as 'who/whom' in English is also correct in Chinese. I put every word which modifies the meaning of the object of the sentence in front of that object, in exactly the same way I do in English. Is this way of expressing the idea is available in China? Would native speakers be able to fully understand the meaning of that sentence?

What's the common way of arranging the sentence in Chinese which involves the relative pronoun in English?

Thank you!!

• Skatinginbc

Mandarin 國語
    a friend to whom I can speak my mind"
    一個可以交心的朋友
    一個可以無所不談的朋友
    一個可以無話不說的朋友
    一個可以暢所欲言的朋友

一個我可以對他說心裡話的朋友 (literal translation of "a friend to whom I can speak my mind")

一個...的朋友 a friend...
    對他 to whom
    我可以說心裡話 I can speak my mind

Last edited:

Venus Libra

Chinese - China
    You had better say that 我想有一个可以把我心目中所有的想法都发泄出来的朋友 or 我想找到我的知己.
    1) Yes, the core idea has been conveyed, if you want to use "给" , you have to change the sentence like this : 我想把我心目中所有的想法都发泄我的朋友
    2)You have to wait for someone more professional to answer it.

youngwoo

Korean
    一個我可以對他說心裡話的朋友 (literal translation of "a friend to whom I can speak my mind")
    Thank you very much! You always teach me a lot!

But if I may, another question has arisen.

You said that 對他 is used as 'to whom' in English.

Is this expression commonly used in China between native Chinese people when they're trying to convey the sentence which involves the explanation of any people like what I've suggested above?

Because unlike English, which has so many occasions where we have to use relative pronoun to idiomatically convey the ideas, I think I've hardly seen any occasions using such expressions in China.

Thank you very much again for your kind explanation!

< Previous | Next >