A friend, whom I trust the most

Erika Lissa

Peru - Spanish
Hello!

Please, could you tell me is my sentence and the position of the comma are correct?

"Sherly is a friend, whom I trust the most"

In spanish: "Sherly es la amiga, en quien más confio ."

Thank you in advance :)

Last edited:
  • Arctic Raven

Español
    Is your question about the sentence in English or the one in Spanish?

In English we'd have to see if the second clause is a defining or non-defining one. Depending on it, it would be or not correct the use of the comma.
    In Spanish it sounds a bit weird. It'd be better without the comma.

Erika Lissa

Peru - Spanish
    Oh I am sorry I have not been clear, I wanted to know if my sentence in English is correct.

this is part of my essay which I am doing:

fortunately I met Sherly, who is my best friend. I know I always can rely on her and It's true that I feel comfortable surrounded by my closest friend, whom I enjoy spending time as well, but Sherly is the person, whom I trust the most.(Sherly es la amiga en quien más confio)

thanks

Last edited:

Arctic Raven

Español
    Una pequeña contribución:
    fortunately I met Sherly, who is my best friend. I know I can always rely on her and It's true that I feel comfortable surrounded by my closest friend, who I enjoy spending time with as well, but Sherly is the person whom I trust the most.
    En ese caso, no debe ir la coma, pues la cláusula independiente no tendría sentido. Si quieres mayores referencias a la razón por la que no va la coma, échale un ojo en tu tiempo libre a "defining and non-ddefining relative clauses"

Espero ye sirva,
    saludos

Erika Lissa

Peru - Spanish
    thanks for the first correction, about the second I think whom would be also correct but more formal, and the last sí tenía esa duda, en relación al with crei que colocando whom tendria que omitir el with, pero tomando en cuenta lo que me dices tendria que ponerlo con with,

An example of that can be this?

He's the writer whom I work for

Please

< Previous | Next >