A funnel for pets? [Elizabethan collar, Buster collar, etc.]

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    I have no idea. I have never thought of that before. From Google, it looks like it's generally called a funnel or a funnel collar (and that there are people who have pet funnel-web spiders, which I really didn't want to know about). Actually the good people on Google often seem to call it something like 'one of those funnel things' or 'that white plastic funnel', so there's more than me who didn't have a name for it.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Actually I took my cue from the word 'funnel' in the title of this thread, and so when I googled for pet funnels I found pet funnels; I looked around for a good reliable site that would tell me what the trade would call them, but didn't see anything obvious. If I'd searched for cones I would have found cones. 'Lampshade' makes the best sense to me, but can't really be the trade term, I suppose.

Biffo

English - England
    Actually I took my cue from the word 'funnel' in the title of this thread, and so when I googled for pet funnels I found pet funnels; I looked around for a good reliable site that would tell me what the trade would call them, but didn't see anything obvious. If I'd searched for cones I would have found cones. 'Lampshade' makes the best sense to me, but can't really be the trade term, I suppose.
    Having looked again, I think the trade term is e-collar. (Presumably short for elizabethan collar)
    I also saw 'Buster collar' but I have never heard anyone call it that.

AutumnOwl

-
    Swedish
    Thank you for your help. It sounds better to say that he wears an Elizabethan collar than to say he's wearing a funnel collar, even if I doubt he cares what it's called, as he doesn't like it at all.

ewie

English English
    And dogs in Elizabethan collars of course go 'ruff'.
    :DOuch.

They've always just been called those plastic cone collar jobbies in this household. I've never heard either Elizabethan collar or e-collar (which ~ inadvertently ~ sounds like some weird form of internet punishment.)

Bevj

Allegra Moderata (Sp/Eng, Cat)
    English (U.K.)
    I've never heard 'Elizabethan collar' or 'e-collar' either, and I have owned pets all my life (currently 4 cats and a dog).
    In my house we refer to 'the poor cat with a bucket round his head'. :D

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    I was once singing in a cathedral in the South of England with a singer called Jane Tibbets. Her cat fell ill during our stay and when she took it to the vet she was told it had to have an inflatable e-collar. When the vet asked for a name, Jane replied, sensibly enough, 'Tibbets'. 'I meant your name', said the vet.

Jane was pretty cross, particularly as we thought it funny. The cat got better. The vet called it an e-collar.

Loob

English UK
    I usually call it a "plastic-collar-thingy":eek:, though if pushed I'd probably call it a "cone collar". I've seen "lampshade", but it wouldn't spring to mind.

I've just been up to the vet's so I asked what they call it: their answer was "Buster collar". Like Biffo, though, I think most people would never have come across that.

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    My daughter, who works in a veterinary hospital, calls it an E-collar. I do think the term comes from Elizabethan collar, which is a term I've found in books. I don't have a doubt in the world that there are countless regional names for this thing.

Come to think of it, E-collar sounds like something you would send by e-mail.

< Previous | Next >