a gallon of dip

< Previous | Next >

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
-- Roxie, I'm having a party at my house. It's gonna be, like, off the hook, or whatever. You should come over. I got a deejay, rented a bouncy house, made a gallon of dip. It's gonna be sick.
Megamind, animation

Does it simply mean
a creamy mixture into which pieces of food are dipped before being eaten
?
If so, it seems strange to mention it while inviting someone at your party:confused: Thank you.

• Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    Yes, I think it does simply mean that - unless I'm being totally naive at it's slang for drugs?? :oops:
    If so, it seems strange to mention it while inviting someone at your party
    Have you never had a meal before a party only to find there's loads of food available when you arrive? Or, perhaps worse, arrived starving only to find there is no food at all?:D

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Yes, I think it does simply mean that - unless I'm being totally naive at it's slang for drugs?? :oops:
    Have you never had a meal before a party only to find there's loads of food available when you arrive? Or, perhaps worse, arrived starving only to find there is no food at all?:D
    Yes, but if he'd said "there'll be a lot of food and drinks" -- that'd be clear. But why "dip"? What's so special about dip?:)

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Perhaps the host is supplying only the dip itself, and expects the guests to bring their own things (crisps, celery sticks, whatever) to dunk in it.

suzi br

English / England
    A gallon is FAR more dip than any normal sized party would need - if you are used to metric measures you might not realise it is over 4 litres of gloopy stuff. I think this is hyperbole and meant to be funny, especially when you consider that "dip" is a slightly odd choice to mention. Whether this is meant to be the humour/wit of the character or to show him up as someone a bit daft I don't know.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    A gallon is FAR more dip than any normal sized party would need - if you are used to metric measures you might not realise it is over 4 litres of gloopy stuff. I think this is hyperbole and meant to be funny, especially when you consider that "dip" is a slightly odd choice to mention. Whether this is meant to be the humour/wit of the character or to show him up as someone a bit daft I don't know.
    Thank you:)

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    A gallon is FAR more dip than any normal sized party would need - if you are used to metric measures you might not realise it is over 4 litres of gloopy stuff.
    An imperial gallon, that is -- a US gallon is a little less than four litres.

< Previous | Next >