a general AI that can tackle any task

NewAmerica

Mandarin
What does "tackle any task" mean? Does it mean a general AI can tell you the meaning of life as well? It seems that the nuance of "task" needs to be known by me.

Thanks in advance
Self-taught AI is best yet at strategy game Go
<.......>
This ability to self-train without human input is a crucial step towards the dream of creating a general AI that can tackle any task. In the nearer-term, though, it could enable programs to take on scientific challenges such as protein folding or materials research, said DeepMind chief executive Demis Hassabis at a press briefing.

-nature

Source

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    It seems that I need to know the nuance of "task" needs to be known by me.
    "Task" is intentionally unclear.
    The meaning of life is well-known and therefore I assume that an answer can be given.

However, the writer also implies that you must also apply common sense. It is unlikely that AI will ever produce a lamppost that turns into a flying leopard on Mao's birthday.

grassy

Polish
    I take it to mean that it's intelligent, versatile and it can learn - sort of like humans, only better. Currently, we have, for example, computer programs that can beat best players in chess, but the very same programs can't even play Xs and Os.

Does it mean a general AI can tell you the meaning of life as well?
    If there were any objective meaning of life, it could.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    What does "tackle any task" mean? Does it mean a general AI can tell you the meaning of life as well? It seems that the nuance of "task" needs to be known by me.
    No, it just means an AI that can actually think, like a human can. "Task" is a general term for any activity.

Note that the article states (correctly) that this is a future dream. Current AI cannot "think". Everything they do is specified in precise detail by human programmers. The computer just follows the steps, with no awareness of what it is doing. It does not know it is playing chess or simulating climate change. It is just adding numbers.

There are two parts to the AI field: pursuing the future dream of "true intelligence in a computer", and creating programs that seem intelligent (here "artificial" means "imitate") by doing things like play chess.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    ... The computer just follows the steps, with no awareness of what it is doing. It does not know it is playing chess or simulating climate change...
    This raises the question of the difference between consciousness and intelligence, and whether consciousness is necessary for an entity to be truly intelligent. Even if it is possible to answer this question, discussing it fully would be off-topic in this forum. I mention it only to point out that many experts feel that consciousness, or self-awareness, is not necessary for intelligence. They do not accept a line of reasoning that goes, more or less, "humans are both intelligent and conscious, therefore any other intelligent entity must also be conscious - so any entity that is not conscious cannot be considered intelligent." In terms of this thread, a general AI that can tackle any task (that involves manipulating symbols) need not be conscious of what it is doing or of itself.

< Previous | Next >