a gift of love that we long for

nicole110

chinese from Taiwan
Hi, all

My classmate wrote a letter to me, saying, This letter is a gift of love that we long for. I think she intended to mean that this letter is a gift of love of our longing for each other. Does what she wrote mean the same as what I said? Please help me out. Thank you very much.

• owlman5

English-US
    Hi. I'm not sure what your classmate meant with that expression, but your version doesn't seem to mean the same thing.

owlman5

English-US
    a gift of love of our longing for each other.
    I'm sorry, Nicole, but this doesn't make much sense to me. You seem to mean that the gift is a token of your longing or affection for each other, but the phrasing is strange and somewhat confusing to me.

nicole110

chinese from Taiwan
    I'm sorry, Nicole, but this doesn't make much sense to me. You seem to mean that the gift is a token of your longing or affection for each other, but the phrasing is strange and somewhat confusing to me.
    yeah. you got what i meant. i tried the phrasing but failed. any better ideas?

owlman5

English-US
    If I meant to say something like that, I'd probably do it in straightforward way: This letter is a token of my affection for you. To tell you the truth, your friend probably doesn't need to read something like that to understand that you care for him or her when you exchange letters.

< Previous | Next >