a gladiator branded by life

< Previous | Next >

Wookie

Korea, Korean
"In front of the dungeon stands a gladiator branded by life and its many battles. "

What does "branded by ..." mean? I'd like to know what the example means.

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    One of the meanings of a "brand" is a scar (usually made with a hot iron). In the context of your sentence, he obviously has the scars of many battles. "branded by life" can also mean that his features and demeanour show the struggles he's had throughout his life.

Wookie

Korea, Korean
    One of the meanings of a "brand" is a scar (usually made with a hot iron). In the context of your sentence, he obviously has the scars of many battles. "branded by life" can also mean that his features and demeanour show the struggles he's had throughout his life.
    I don't have a further context for this but what do you think "its" refer to? I guess "its" should be "his".

Hugo CB

Español
    Could be used when a fighting living person is branded for the life. I mean that someone could be fighting all the time for survive and in a point of the life is branded and this brand could be affect the physic or the spiritual behavior.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    I don't have a further context for this but what do you think "its" refer to? I guess "its" should be "his".
    No, its should not be his. In order to find the antecedent of "its", all you need to do is look at the sentence and find the precedeing noun that is not a person. Your sentence was In front of the dungeon stands a gladiator branded by life and its many battles. If you go backwards through the sentence, only two words back from the "its" you find your answer: life. Instead of its, the author could have written life's: In front of the dungeon stands a gladiator branded by life and life's many battles.

danjr89

USA
    English - USA
    unless of course, you changed the word "gladiator" with something like "wolf" in which case "it's" could refer to either "life" or "wolf"

In front of the dungeon stands a gladiator branded by life and its many battles.

In front of the dungeon stands a wolf branded by life and its many battles.

This example doesn't really change the meaning of the sentence but I'm sure there is an example out there that might be affected more.

< Previous | Next >