p2: a box of tissue
  m1: a box with some tissue
  m2: a box filled with tissue up to the rim
  m3: some tissue in a box
  m4: filling-up-to-the-rim tissue in a box

I think p1 means m3 and p2 means m4.

• Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    m3 fits both best, for me. In both examples the containers would have been full to start with but over time the contents may have been drunk/used.

Last edited:

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    ...In both examples the containers would have been full to start with but over time the contents may have drunk/used.
    ...but if the level falls below half, you might stop calling it "a glass of wine". Certainly, if buying it in a bar, "A glass of wine" must be "a glass filled with wine up to the legal retail level". If reading it in a recipe, "a glass of wine" probably means 12.5 cl of wine.

In your photo, it means "some wine (which they happen to be drinking from a glass)".

PS: a box of tissue is wrong; a box of tissues.

lingobingo

English - England
    I don’t think what is or was in the glass is at all relevant. When we describe two or more people on a night out as “enjoying a glass of wine/a few beers/an alfresco supper together”, what they’re enjoying is meant in the sense of an occasion. It’s not about the specifics of what they’re eating or drinking.

Rival

English - UK
    You can forget about m2 and m4 for the wine.

In restaurants and bars they NEVER fill a glass to the brim/rim with wine.
    They deliberately use glasses that are bigger than the volume of wine they intend to pour, so that the fragrance, the aroma, (the "bouquet" or "nose" as they call it), is contained in the upper part of the bowl for you to enjoy. :)

The glasses the ladies are holding in your picture are considered "full" in the sense that they contain a full serving of wine (perhaps minus a few sips the ladies might have taken).

I don't know about America, but in Europe a 750 millilitre bottle is considered to be six servings -- which comes back to the 12.5 cl that Keith Bradford mentioned.

< Previous | Next >