A glimpse of truth among the mysteries

zwxsnake

Chinese
Hi,

She was halfway down the hall when she heard the violin. (She’d gotten out of her last class a few minutes early from a test and was killing time until the final bell. ) Her steps slowed as she listened, assuming—hoping—it was Freddie. A glimpse of truth among the mysteries. The music was coming from a classroom down the hall; as she reached the door, it stopped, followed by the screeching of chairs and equipment.

Source: This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab
Context: She thought his name was an alias and had many secrets. She knew that he can play violin.

What does "A glimpse of truth among the mysteries" refer to?
(i) When she heard the violin, she thought this was a chance to get a glimpse of truth among the mysteries about him.
(ii) She knew that he can play violin, so when she heard the violin, she thought this was just one of the little truth about him.
Which one is correct?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
  • Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    With out more context I would assume she has suspicions about what Freddie gets up to - perhaps he's having secret lessons?? - and, if she catches a glimpse/sight of him (now) that will be part of the mystery solved.
    Perhaps you can tell us what "mysteries" she might have - about Freddie, or anyone else - so that we can ascertain exactly what she means?

zwxsnake

Chinese
    As I know from the book, she thinks Freddie is a man of mystery, "Freddie" is not his real name, the story about his family that he told her is not entirely true.She wants to find out his real identity, know more about him.
    She once asked him to play violin for her, but he refused.

< Previous | Next >