A good for nothing/ lost case etc.

Nairgoreta

Catalan
Hello, I'm trying to translate my own song into English. In Catalan we call "perdut" (a lost one) a person who has not taken the most common life path, who is somehow lost in life. It's the kind of people that might be odd, scruff, scattered, jack of all trades but that are adventurous too and take life as it comes, with not much fuss and carefreely. To put it some way.
I need a term that can translate this as close as possible but that is not totally derogatory or can be used in a nice way.

My suggestions in context:

"We are the good for nothing, the crazy ones and the screwed"
or
lost cases
stray ones
leftovers
(I can't really use this one as it's the title of a series and I presume they came up with the usage of the term so I can't copy it, unless you thik it's common to use it this way, in which case I'd certainly consider using it!)

What are your suggestions? Many thanks in advance.

• Barque

Tamil
    Perhaps the word you're looking for is maverick.

From the WR dictionary:
    one who thinks and acts independently: a political maverick against business as usual.
    a lone dissenter, as an intellectual, an artist, or a politician, who takes an independent stand apart from his or her associates.

Cross-posted. I think Lingobingo's "free spirit" suits the sort of person you describe.

Nairgoreta

Catalan
    Great! They both sound good to me. Maybe I'll go for "free spirit", since I have a feeling that "maverick" is more formal, though I'm not sure... Nevertheless, in case I sticked with "the good for nothing", would it sound fine too? Thanks :)

lingobingo

English - England
    Maverick is more risqué. A free spirit will generally be seen as good, admirable. A maverick may be seen as a “bad boy”, albeit an attractively enigmatic one.

Myridon

English - US
    "Maverick" and "free spirit" are generally seen as positive things.

Your words "lost", "odd", "scruff", "scattered", "good for nothing", "crazy", "screwed", "stray", and "leftover" are negative.
    This phrase "jack of all trades but that are adventurous too and take life as it comes, with not much fuss and carefree" is positive.

Are you describing someone you admire or someone you dislike?

You little ripper!

Australian English
    We also have the person who marches to the beat of a different drummer.

March to a different drummer - Idioms by The Free Dictionary

To do something or behave in a manner that does not conform to the standard, prevalent, or popular societal norm. My brother's eschewed the idea of a full-time career and has had every oddball job you could think of, but then he's always been happy marching to the beat of a different drummer.

Nairgoreta

Catalan
    "Maverick" and "free spirit" are generally seen as positive things.

Your words "lost", "odd", "scruff", "scattered", "good for nothing", "crazy", "screwed", "stray", and "leftover" are negative.
    This phrase "jack of all trades but that are adventurous too and take life as it comes, with not much fuss and carefree" is positive.

Are you describing someone you admire or someone you dislike?
    I'm descriving people like me, who are free spirits that don't conform the norm and go their own way. However, in order to make it ironic, I want to use the world other people use to describe such people. In catalan I literally say "We are the lost, the crazy ones and the screwed". I thought there would be a good alternative for "lost" in English. Thanks.

< Previous | Next >