a good many

spohreis

Portuguese-Brazil
Hallo allerseitz!:)

I was looking for an expression in German for "a good many" and I found these one: "eine ganze Menge" and "ziemlich viele".
My question is: May I use them in any context as synonymous?

Danke im voraus!

• sokol

Austrian (as opposed to Australian)
    You may, but without context there's no chance that you apply the phrase correct (or translate correct idiomatically). Especially as "a good many" is an English idiom used in quite specific contexts, as opposed to ordinary "many".

spohreis

Portuguese-Brazil
    You may, but without context there's no chance that you apply the phrase correct (or translate correct idiomatically). Especially as "a good many" is an English idiom used in quite specific contexts, as opposed to ordinary "many".
    Hallo sokol!:)

From worldreference.

It's a fixed expression, Ddubug: a good many things, just like a lot of or a number of, which take plural verbs:
    A good many things are not as they ought to be =
    A lot of things are not as they ought to be =
    A number of things are not as they ought to be.

What is the best expression that fits with the definition above?Danke im voraus!

spohreis

Portuguese-Brazil
    Hallo!

Could you please give some sentences where do you use the expressions ""eine ganze Menge" and "ziemlich viele""?

Danke im voraus!

Robocop

(Swiss) German
    - Ich habe eine ganze Menge Verletzte in der Umgebung des Unfallorts gesehen.
    - Beim gestrigen Zugzusammenstoss scheint es ziemlich viele Verletzte gegeben zu haben.

Oder in schweizerischer Schreibweise:
    (in Analogie zu: Zugs|ver|bin|dung, die (österr., schweiz.): Zugverbindung)
    - Beim gestrigen Zugszusammenstoss scheint es ziemlich viele Verletzte gegeben zu haben.

Last edited:

spohreis

Portuguese-Brazil
    - Ich habe eine ganze Menge Verletzte in der Umgebung des Unfallorts gesehen.
    - Beim gestrigen Zugzusammenstoss scheint es ziemlich viele Verletzte gegeben zu haben.

Oder in schweizerischer Schreibweise:
    (in Analogie zu: Zugs|ver|bin|dung, die (österr., schweiz.): Zugverbindung)
    - Beim gestrigen Zugszusammenstoss scheint es ziemlich viele Verletzte gegeben zu haben.
    Hallo Robocop! Vielen Dank!:)

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >