a good way <in which> we get closer

Helen White

Chinese - Taiwanese
Hi all, I encounter a problem learning English. I wrote the first sentence and my friend revised it as the second one.

Sharing innermost thoughts is a good way in which we get closer to our family.
Sharing innermost thoughts is a good way we get closer to our family.

Are these two sentences correct and of the same meaning? What's the difference between them? I feel a bit confused and need your help. Thank you.

• The Newt

English - US
    The examples sound a bit better if you change them as follows:

Sharing innermost thoughts is one way in which we get closer to our family.
    Sharing innermost thoughts is one way we get closer to our family.

Either version of the above would be acceptable.

lingobingo

English - England
    “good” modifies way
    “[in which] we get closer to our family” also modifies way

But these two references are normally used differently from each other, which is why your sentence sounds odd.

Sharing innermost thoughts is a good way [in which] we get closer to our family. :thumbsdown:
    Sharing innermost thoughts is a way in which we get closer to our family. :thumbsup:
    Sharing innermost thoughts is a good way to get closer to our family. :thumbsup:

Helen White

Chinese - Taiwanese
    “good” modifies way
    “[in which] we get closer to our family” also modifies way

But these two references are normally used differently from each other, which is why your sentence sounds odd.

Sharing innermost thoughts is a good way [in which] we get closer to our family. :thumbsdown:
    Sharing innermost thoughts is a way in which we get closer to our family. :thumbsup:
    Sharing innermost thoughts is a good way to get closer to our family. :thumbsup:
    Thank you, all. Thank you, lingobingo. And I saw a similar sentence: Monosnap

Prayer is the way we communicate with God.
    Is this sentence correct? Can I also say that prayer is the way in which we communicate with God?

Forero

The problem with the original sentences, as I see it, is with the use of the indefinite article, not really with the adjective good:

Sharing innermost thoughts is one good way in which we get closer to our family.:tick:
    Sharing innermost thoughts is one good way we get closer to our family.:tick:
    Sharing innermost thoughts is one of the good ways in which we get closer to our family.:tick:
    Sharing innermost thoughts is one of the good ways we get closer to our family.
    :tick:

< Previous | Next >