A good way to control traffic is to charge people money to drive in the city.

• Packard

USA, English
    Yes. I believe London has a fee-based entry that varies with the time of the day you are travelling.

Charge means to exact a fee.

Addendum: I just Googled the tolls in London. They call it a "congestion charge".

London congestion charge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The London congestion charge is a fee charged on most motor vehicles operating within the Congestion Charge Zone (CCZ)[1] in Central London between 07:00 and 18:00 Mondays to Fridays

xunilxunil

Banned
    Urdu
    Yes. I believe London has a fee-based entry that varies with the time of the day you are travelling.

Charge means to exact a fee.
    I didn't know for driving in the city people have to be charged. If the can't drive in the city where they have to drive?!

Packard

USA, English
    New York was also considering a similar congestion charge. There was already in place a toll for entering Manhattan by any of the bridges or tunnels. That fee would vary depending upon the time of day. During the peak hours of congestion the fee would be the highest.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    I didn't know for driving in the city people have to be charged. If the can't drive in the city where they have to drive?!
    The charge encourages people to use busses, subways and trains in the city, instead of

Most people who live in a big city (London or Manhattan) do not own a car. It is expensive to own a car in the city: some people pay $30 per day just for parking their car when not using it.

It is not true that "they can't drive in the city". For people who must drive in the city, the charge is $15 each day. But there is no charge to drive at night or on weekends.

In the past, commuters (people who work in the city but live 30km away) would drive into the city and park there all day. That caused much of the traffic. Now those people drive to a train station at the edge of the city (where there is no charge), park there and take a short train ride to work.

xunilxunil

Banned
    Urdu
    The charge encourages people to use busses, subways and trains in the city, instead of

Most people who live in a big city (London or Manhattan) do not own a car. It is expensive to own a car in the city: some people pay $30 per day just for parking their car when not using it.

It is not true that "they can't drive in the city". For people who must drive in the city, the charge is $15 each day. But there is no charge to drive at night or on weekends.

In the past, commuters (people who work in the city but live 30km away) would drive into the city and park there all day. That caused much of the traffic. Now those people drive to a train station at the edge of the city (where there is no charge), park there and take a short train ride to work.

Thanks. great help and informative information.

< Previous | Next >