a grand piano bewitched

just.am

Czech
Have some troubles understanding this metaphor:

The dog couldn't catch the roe, although it seemed to be going much the faster of the two, moving in long graceful bounds, while the roe went bucketing over the earth with wild rigid jerks, like a grand piano bewitched.

Any help, really appreciated!

• Copyright

American English
    It's simply the author's creative way of saying that the deer was ungainly -- reflected in "bucketing" and "wild rigid jerks."

Checking Google, it seems to be a unique usage, so I wouldn't try to incorporate it in your everyday conversation. :)

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I suppose what the author was trying to highlight was the awkward movement of the roe compared to the graceful bounds of the dog. A grand piano is large and has rigid legs. If it tried to move (when it was bewitched), the movement would be in rigid jerks.

Note: I assume the roe refers to a roe deer rather than fish eggs! :)

EDIT: Cross-posted with Copyright.

AngelEyes

English - United States
    This is a strange sentence because it seems to draw many illogical images.

The roe is a deer, right? Small and graceful and quick. Like Bambi. They're known to bark like dogs, I believe. But in this sentence, it's the dog who's quicker and more graceful.

The deer is galloping over the ground like a big old piano that seems to be possessed by some kind of magical control?

No wonder you're confused. It has very little logic to me, too.

just.am

Czech
    yes, yes, it is a paralel to the movement of the roe deer, but I couldn't see how piano can possibly move and in what way. but I think I have some idea now... although it still seems very strange - so if you try to bewitch (cast a spell) a piano to move, it will move very clumsy, since it is a large and heavy object and that is the way the roe moved?
    ech, this book drives me crazy, there is a lot metaphors like this, not very clear and via google unique. wonderful language, but so much difficult to translate.
    Isn't it coming from some work of art, a fairytale perhaps?

just.am

Czech
    AngelEyes

yes, very little logic... I was looking for some second meaning of piano and bewitched and so forth, but found none. well, as long as it is not clear to the native speakers as well, than I just leave it be.

I guess Bambis jump vertically a lot when they run, just like gazelles? while the dog is more like cheetah - long, big, horizontal bounds. You know the Discovery kind of chase. Thats my idea, but whats the piano got to do with it... big mystery to me.

< Previous | Next >