a great deal of her

Vaultec

English - Canada
I'm trying to understand what the meaning of this phrase from a novel I'm currently reading.

"I have never forgotten my mother's advice. I knew she was a wise old horse, and our master thought a great deal of her.?"

This from a horse's point of view and a horse is the narrator. Does the phrase mean that the owner thinks the mother is a great deal and is worth a lot of money? Or is this to describe how great of a horse the mother is?

• BLUEGLAZE

English - USA
    The master loved the horse very much and admired her.
    The master knew she could rely on this horse.
    A google search of 'I think a great deal of you' yields a lot of results.

Langton's Aunt

British English
    I'm pretty sure that it means "our master thought she was a good horse". I feel there is a difference between "A thinks a great deal of B" (A appreciates B) and "A thinks of B a great deal" (A spends a lot of time thinking about B)
    crossposted with Blueglaze

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    I'm trying to understand what the meaning of this phrase from a novel I'm currently reading.

"I have never forgotten my mother's advice. I knew she was a wise old horse, and our master thought a great deal of her.?"

This from a horse's point of view and a horse is the narrator. Does the phrase mean that the owner thinks the mother is a great deal and is worth a lot of money? Or is this to describe how great of a horse the mother is?
    It's got nothing to do with deal in the sense of bargain. It means that the master had a high opinion of Black Beauty's mother.

bennymix

W-R dictionary|:

idiom
    • a great or good deal (of), an unknown but large quantity or amount (of); a lot (of):

• has a great deal of money to spend;
      feels a good deal better.
    NOTE: In the OP, the phrase is ambiguous between large amount and high opinion, the latter being most likely. But I give the quantitative definition above, for thread readers.

Vaultec

English - Canada
    Ahh I see, no wonder, it's really hard to distinguish the meaning unless we read further ahead about the context or what happens if the mother ends up being sold but even then the meaning is still ambiguous

< Previous | Next >