a great ID

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
Kale and his neighbour Ashley are spying on another neighbour through a window of Kale's room — she with binoculars, he with a camera. They see the neighbour pulling up with a woman, both getting out of the car.
ASHLEY: There's a club girl for you.
KALE: How can you tell?
ASHLEY: The bright green bracelet is from The Place. The red one is from The Komodo Club, and yellow is from Razors.
KALE: Jesus. You must have a great ID, huh?
Disturbia, movie

What does ID mean here?
Thank you.

• Oddmania

French
    It's being used in its usual sense: identity card. Your identity card must be really awesome, because it obviously grants you access to all the clubs in town, even though you're still underage. It's tongue-in-cheek. The subtext is probably "They all let you in because of your fantastic ID, right? -- definitely not because of your good looks".

Oddmania

French
    Sorry, I wasn't clear. I mentioned a subtext but there's another subtext behind the subtext.

You must have a great ID, huh? The nightclub bouncers must be really impressed by your ID, right? Are you sure they never take a look at anything else? You're hot.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    You must have a great ID, huh? The nightclub bouncers must be really impressed by your ID, right? Are you sure they never take a look at anything else? You're hot.
    Ok, I see how the blue part is implied in the OP, but how is the green part? Is it something the OP phrase implies itself, or is it beyond that?:)

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Ok, I see how the blue part is implied in the OP, but how is the green part? Is it something the OP phrase implies itself, or is it beyond that?:)
    If she is hot, the bouncers look at her and don't pay much attention to her ID - they let her in no matter what her ID looks like. It's sarcasm/irony - in any case, humour.

Oddmania

French
    How do you get into a nightclub if you're underage? You need to be female and pretty. If Ashley is still under 18, then her ID is not of any help (hence the sarcasm, "Your ID must be great, right?") -- hence, she must be gorgeous.

You must have a great ID! = Your identity card must be amazing! Otherwise, how would you get into so many nightclubs? Surely the conscientious, vigilant doormen would never let a girl in simply because she looked great, huh...?

Myridon

English - US
    The people in the story are underage.
    Her (fake) ID is great because she manages to get into all of the clubs. None of the bouncers doubt that it is real.

Oddmania

French
    It didn't even cross my mind! This interpretation makes more sense. Your ID is absolutely real, right? I'm sure it's not fake at all.

Oddmania

French
    I got that. "This interpretation" = your interpretation. My rewriting was meant to be read as ironic. Now I realise the original line was not even tongue-in-cheek. He was genuinely envious of her ID. It was hard to tell without the audio track. The "huh?" threw me off.

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    The important part is that "You must have a great ID huh?" means "It is amazing that you know what all the bracelets from the different clubs look like."

I can't tell from the context provided, whether he says this sarcastically (because he doesn't' believe her) or is honestly impressed. I also have no idea whether he's implying anything about her appearance, but I have not seen the movie.

< Previous | Next >