A great show-off

Axelroll

Spanish (Spain)
Hi everybody!,

I'd like to request some help from the native English-speakers of this helpful forum. I'm translating into Spanish a book about the Viking culture and I've stumbled with a phrase taken from the runic inscriptions inside the Maeshowe cave:

"Ingibjorg, the fair widow. Many a woman has gone stooping in here. A great show-off".

I don't understand the expression in boldface in this particular context, The definition taken from the English dictionary of Wordreference reads: "Show-off: someone who deliberately behaves in such a way as to attract attention ", and mentions the expression as a synonym to "exhibitionist".

¿Could anybody explain to me the meaning of this expression in this context? Or, at least, what do you think it means.

Many thanks!

• JamesM

The dictionary definition matches my understanding of the word, Axelroll, but I can't see what it means in that context. It seems as if the clue is to be found in the previous sentence. Do they mean "stooping" because it is a cave or "stooping" because Ingibjorg made all the women bow to her greatness?

I wish I could add more, but it's not clear to me from what you've shown us here.

Axelroll

Spanish (Spain)
    Hi JamesM,

For what I understand from the previous text of the book, the sentence has some sexual connotations, so "stooping" here relates to many local women entering the cave AND bending down in sexual relations or something similar. I can understand that part, but not what "A great show-off" means in here.

I've found a translation of this phrase to Spanish which says (translated back into English) "Ingibjorg, the fair widow. Many women have stooped to enter here. In spite of their prudery", but I don't know if this translation is really accurate.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful.

< Previous | Next >