a great surprise when ...

< Previous | Next >

Arcona

German
Hello,
could you please tell me if the sentence

It was a great surprise, when I met you at the concert.

expresses the following:

I didn't expect to meet you at the concert and I was happy when I did.

Thank you.

• Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    It could with the appropriate tone, but the words themselves don't mean that.

It was a pleasant surprise to meet you/It was an unexpected pleasure to meet you: These mean you were surprised and happy.

Last edited:

Arcona

German
    Thank you very much for your response, Barque.

Could you please help me with the following too?
    I got a picture from friend, looked at it and just saw a few people rock climbing (people, I didn't seem to know). Quite a bit later, when I took a closer look, I recognized that one of the people is this friend. How could I say in a short sentence, that it was a moment of surprise when I saw him in the picture, but that it was a nice surprise. Would one of these sentence work in this context?
    It was a nice surprise to discover you in the picture.
    It was a nice surprise when I discovered you in the picture.
    (This is probably more about the moment when I recognized him?)
    I also like your suggestion " It was an unexpected pleasure ..." but that probably wouldn't work in this context, or does it?

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    Well, he did send you the photo himself, so it is natural enough that he should be in it.

If I've understood you correctly, you were surprised only because you didn't recognise him immediately and later realised that one of the apparent strangers in the photo was your friend. But he wouldn't know that.

(Or was there some other reason for your surprise? Because he's not the type who engages in activities like rock-climbing?)

I'd probably say "I liked the photo you sent" or "You look good in that photo" or "Nice to see you enjoying yourself". Something like that - I suppose you get the picture. :)

< Previous | Next >