a green­house arrived from Gatsby's

tesoke

USA
Persian
Would you please explain the meaning of the red part of the following sentence, from "The great Gatsby". Thanks a lot.

The flowers were unnecessary, for at two o'clock a green­house arrived from Gatsby's, with innumerable receptacles to contain it.

• kidme

chinese-mandarin&wu dailect
    I have only seen the movie because of Leonardo, and I think it may mean there are many flowers in Gatsby's house to please and welcome the girl he liked.20130904221802_3M2Tk.jpg

tesoke

USA
    Persian
    Thanks a lot, but

1) would you please translate the red part?

2) What is the role of "s" after Gatsby?

3) a greenhouse arrived?! Does a greenhouse move?

kgildner

English - Ottawa Valley
    It's a figurative statement. Nick is wanting to say that Gatsby sent so many flowers to his place that it was as though an entire greenhouse full of flowers had been sent over.

tesoke

USA
    Persian
    Ok but another questions!

1) Would you please explain about figurative statement? I cannot distinguish between them and metaphor statement!

2) a greenhouse arrived?! I think the writer should use a passive verb and he should write like this: "a greenhouse was arrived from Gatsby's". Am I wrong?

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    1) A metaphor is one kind of figurative language. (Here's a YourDictionary page with more information on the various types of figurative language.)

2) No, we don't say "was arrived." The past tense is appropriate in the sentence: at a particular time (2:00), something happened (a greenhouse arrived).

tesoke

USA
    Persian
    Okey, but I think because a greenhouse cannot move, so I should use from a passive verb! Why am I wrong?

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    You are right that a greenhouse can not normally move, but in this case one did, figuratively speaking.

I'm not sure I entirely understand your question in any case. Here are some examples:

"The old red barn stood behind the farmhouse."
    "The old read barn brought back many memories of her years on the farm."
    "The old red barn blocked the view of the pasture."

The red barn can't move, but we don't have to use a passive verb to express what it was doing.

tesoke

USA
    Persian
    Thanks buddy. You entirely understand my question and your answer was very good. Thanks again.

Myridon

English - US
    Additionally, "arrive" does not take an object, so you cannot make a passive sentence using "arrived". "The greenhouse was arrived." would be formed from the active sentence "<Someone> arrived the greenhouse." which is not correct.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    2) What is the role of "s" after Gatsby?
    Just wanted to respond to this part of the question: the 's shows possession and is not an uncommon way of referring to a business. In the UK for example, we frequently talk about getting items from Marks and Spencer's. (The name of the company is Marks and Spencer.) The possessive suggests that Gatsby owns a business, possibly a florist.

As others have said arrive does not suggest that the entity is self-propelling. Letters, bills and parcels can arrive, for example.

< Previous | Next >