a green driver

Hinata Sama

Chinese
Hi, friends.
Can I use 'green driver' to mean 'new driver'.
I can find quite some 'new driver' written on the internet, but I can't seem to find a 'green driver'.
Doesn't green also mean 'not experienced' ?

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Can I use 'green driver' to mean 'new driver'.
    No. It is not idiomatic in the meaning of "new".

A green driver/motorist is one who tries his best to have a minimal impact on the environment when driving his car.

london calling

UK English
    Green certainly means inexperienced/untrained, but if you were to say 'green driver/motorist' to me I would think the same as Paul, i.e. I would not think you were referring to an inexperienced driver (unless it were clear from the context).

Last edited:

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Yes, given the (newer) environmental implication, the phrase "green driver" is now ambiguous. You'll need to spell out which you mean.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Green certainly means inexperienced/untrained, but if you were to say 'green driver/motorist' to me I would think the same as Paul, i.e. I would not think you were referring to an inexperienced driver (unless it were clear from the context).
    That would be my reaction, too. :)

The environmental connotation of "green" has, in recent years, eclipsed its BE meaning of inexperienced novice. That said, I think it's more usual to apply "green" to the vehicle rather than the driver.

Winstanley808

Banned
    English - U.S.
    Supposedly, there are inconvenient ways to drive that reduce gasoline consumption and therefore the amount of particulates, carbon dioxide, and whatever else comes out of a tailpipe. Someone who scrupulously uses these methods would be a "green driver"; or at least that's what we would now have to think.

< Previous | Next >