A green plant growing in the mountains.

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
شششش.jpg

Hello,
What's the above plant called in English? It's a very popular plant in Iran which grows in mountains.

Thank you.

• Jason_2_toi

English-Scotland
    Does it taste like broccoli?

<-----Out-of-scope question removed by moderator (Florentia52)----->

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
    No, it's not broccoli. First I found it's Persian link in Wikipedia and then I changed the language into English. It suggests two words. I don't know which one is what I'm looking for.

Rheum
    Rhubarb

Rheum (plant) - Wikipedia

And it's called ریواس in Persian. Look at it's pictures => ریواس - Google Search

Now I don't know whether I should call it "rheum" or "rhubarb".:(

kentix

English - U.S.
    Rhubarb (at least in the U.S.) is the one with the bright red stalks. Yours looks like something completely different. I googled rheum and it didn't show anything like yours. It might be a plant we just don't have here.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Rhubarb (at least in the U.S.) is the one with the bright red stalks. Yours looks like something completely different. I googled rheum and it didn't show anything like yours. It might be a plant we just don't have here.
    It's the same in the UK. :)

I grow rhubarb in my garden, and it's definitely the one with the bright red stalks and the broad green leaves (which incidentally are extremely poisonous). Some of the photos do look a bit like its flower stalks, formed when it "goes to seed".

My guess, from reading the Wikipedia article in the link, is that it's a variety of rheum that isn't commonly grown or found in the UK.

[cross-posted]

Hermione Golightly

British English
    My guess, from reading the Wikipedia article in the link, is that it's a variety of rheum that isn't commonly grown or found in the UK.
    I agree with Donny. This sort of Rheum seems to grow wild, but ours is cultivated. If you wanted to talk about it you'd have to explain that it's a sort of rhubarb known as 'Syrian rhubarb', apparently. Its name means 'blackcurrant rhubarb'. It might be in the rhubarb family but it's very different from our idea of rhubarb.

< Previous | Next >