A Ground Pit

< Previous | Next >
  • panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I have never heard of such a thing. There is no need for it in the temperate climate of the UK, so I suspect there is no British English name for one of these.

By the way, cattle do not have cubs. Cows have calves, sheep have lambs and goats have kids.

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    ayed said:
    In winter, some nomads would dig an underground pear-shaped pit of chest-depth so that they could keep the young of their cattle warm.

Please click on the link to name that pit.
    A few amendments, ayed.
    Sorry, I don't know the word for that type of pit.

Brioche

Australia English
    I don't know about "pear shaped".

When I read "pear shaped", my first thought was that the plan of the pit was pear shaped. That is, if seen from above the shape would resemble a pear. Then I clicked on the link.

I'd be inclined to say "pit with a narrow entrance", or something like that.

mamboney

English (USA)
    Hi Ayed,
    Similar types of pits, usually used for storage of grain or other dry foods, are common throughout Europe and Asia (archaeologically speaking). They are even used as trash pits or burials sometimes.

I think that they would most commonly be referred to as bell-shaped, not pear-shaped (although this description is apt).
    It is interesting that they are used for keeping live animals - I have never heard of something like this before!

Sorry, but I don't know of any English (or other) word for these types of pits.
    What an interesting question you had!

Cheers!

ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
    Panjandrum :By the way, cattle do not have cubs
    :eek: I thought this substantive is suitable to small animals:eek:? .Any way, thank you very much.

Maxiogee :
    At least , correcting my mistakes seems to me as if you had answered my question.I always like any English native to correct my mistakes.

Cuchuflete :
    Thank you and I do know that you are the mastermind of this forum:D

Brioche :
    Yes, you are right.This pit is of a narrow entrance.Tha is, it is of a narrow-necked hole.

Mamboney:
    I would like to say "thank you so much".However, a rule says that when using "so +much"...it should be followed by "that..." .
    By the way, once I heard an American lady thanking a shopkeeper saying"Well, thank you so much".Just wonder.

< Previous | Next >