a group of renegades

romlevy

French (France)
Hello,

I am trying to say "His son belongs to a group of renegade people" (in French it is: "Son fils appartient à un groupe de rebelles").

I wanted to translate that into German, saying: "Sein Sohn gehört zu einer Gruppe Abtrünniger", but I am not quite sure about the ending of Abtrünnig.
What should it be?

Thanks a lot

• newg

(France)-ais
    Hello :)

I have found the word "Aufrührer" for the French equivalent "rebelle".
    So my try :

Sein Sohn gehört zu einer Gruppe von Aufrührern. (datif pluriel donc "n" à la fin)

I am not sure but I think you could drop the "zu".

Sein Sohn gehört einer Gruppe von Aufrührern.

Wait for possible other options ;)

Hutschi

When I consider your English context, "Abtrünniger" is better than "Aufrührer". (I refer to the English sentence, because I do not know French.)
    "Aufrührer" does not necessarily include that they are renegades.
    Otherwise "Abtrünnige" are not in all cases rebells.

The grammar of your sentence is right.
    "Sein Sohn gehört zu einer Gruppe Abtrünniger (Abtrünniger = Genitiv, Plural)".
    Another form is
    "Sein Sohn gehört zu einer Gruppe von Abtrünnigen (von Abtrünnigen = Dativ, Plural)".

Last edited:

Robocop

(Swiss) German
    I am trying to say
    - "His son belongs to a group of renegade people" (in French it is: "Son fils appartient à un groupe de rebelles").
    - "Sein Sohn gehört zu einer Gruppe Abtrünniger"
    The English "renegade" (Überläufer, Abtrünniger) and the French "rebelle" (Rebell) have not the same meaning.

"Eine Gruppe Abtrünniger" / "eine Gruppe von Abtrünnigen" is a bunch of people that has a separated from a larger group in heavy disagreement about matters that once united them. I don't think that your sentence originates from such context.

Are you talking about a rebellious young man of our time who belongs to a group of youths that challenges societey and authorities wherever there is an opportunity for it?
    If so, "eine Gruppe von Rebellen / Störefrieden / Unruhestiftern / Krawallmachern / Provokateuren / Radaubrüdern / Radaumachern / Streitsüchtigen / Rowdys" may be what you are looking for.

< Previous | Next >